Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Just A Weed


"When Esau heard the words of his father, he cried out with an exceedingly great and bitter cry, and said to his father, "Bless me, even my also, O my father!"  (Gen. 27:34).  Esau became a weed at that moment.

Hey Gang:  The bride of my youth is an avid reader.  She does not just read books, she consumes them.  I have even seen her read huge books (huge to me for anything over six pages without pictures and large print) that she did not particularly like.  This morning, as she often does, she brought something she came across in her morning devotions. She thought would be a neat item for a morning message and it rang my bell because in it is a point of discipline that we all need to implement in our spiritual walk with the Lord.

       The Story: “One spring when the earth was coming alive and dormant seeds were coming to life there, among the blooming hibiscus, hanging ferns, and multiple forms of flowering plants, a tiny seed penetrated the soil and soon became a tall, vigorous stalk that had vibrant green leaves   He did not have a clue what the plant was, so he asked his neighbor if she knew what it was.  She answered, “Yes, it is a weed.”  

      Well the man certainly did not want a weed growing among all the prestigious and splendid creations of God, so he picked up the pot that contained the weed plant and headed for the thrash can - but as he walked he  could not help but look at the plant and it was truly beautiful.   He returned the plant to the porch, watered it and named it his Esau plant.

 I recall another story of a very busy executive that was CEO of a very large plant that employed mega people.     If you want to be a CEO of a plant that has no problems, be self-employed, for where there are two people there is going to be conflict.  As a matter of fact when there is only one, sometimes there is going to be days of conflict. It so happened that at this particular time there was in a raging war between management and the union. This had gone on for months with no resolution. 

It would have put most people in the loony bin, but the CEO seemed to handle the stress very well.  When asked how he was able to take such a beating day after day without beginning to show signs of dry rot, he gave his secret.  He said, "Do you see that plant outside the door of my office?  When I come to work in the morning I take my CEO hat from that plant and put in on, and when I leave at night, l take my CEO cap off and put it on the plant". 

      Well, getting back to the story of the beautiful weed that almost ended up in the trash can because someone along the line had decided this seed did not live up to their criteria to be a prestigious and splendid creation of God and really did not deserve to live.  As I leaned back in my chair and thought about that weed - the image of thousands of kids that someone along the line said were weeds and did not deserve to be treated as the prestigious and splendid creations of God, had crossed my path.

I also thought about the comment the lady that condemned the weed to death made when she said, “You best kill that weed or it will contaminate all the beautiful prestigious and splendid flowers.”  I wonder what our world would look like if Isaac would have given Esau's birth right back to him and he, would have been treated like a prestigious and splendid flower, like his twin brother Jacob.

 Soooo, my friends, take it from an old salt that has spent his life watering, cultivating, and encouraging weeds that were not considered prestigious or splendid enough to be loved, pruned and encouraged -  as are many prestigious and splendid flowers in weeds clothing begging for someone to water, cultivate and prune them.  So, my friends, strap you hoe on your side and be prepared to do some gardening today.  If you are willing, God will lead you to a prestigious and splendid flower hidden in weed's clothing. 


Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment