Sunday, January 3, 2016

Do you Know? or Are You Locked into Hearsay-Media Hype?


I wish I could share with every Jew in the world the wonderful promises of Zechariah 8:1-5 when a simple trip to the grocery store could cost them their lives, “Then the word of the Lords of hosts came, saying,  ”Thus says the Lord, I will return to Zion and will dwell in the midst of Jerusalem.  Then Jerusalem will be called the city of Truth and the Mountain of the Lord of Hosts will be called the Holy Mountain.”  Thus says the Lord of hosts, “Old men and old women will again sit in the streets of Jerusalem, each man with his staff in his hand because of ageAnd the streets of the city will be filled with boys and girls playing in its streets”.

Hey Gang:  A research-type person recently did a sortie through several college campuses asking one simple question, “What is your opinion of Jews?’  Since the average college student does not have even the remotest comprehension of what a Jew is or what they believe or what they stand for, the answers were predictable, the prevailing attitude of the media – I hate Jews and would punch them in the nose if I came in contact with them. 

His real intent was to move to question number two with the haters: “Have you ever met a Jew and would you know one if you fell over him or her?”   Again the answers were predictable: “No” I have never meet a Jew” and “I would not know one if I fell over them.”  When asked, “Then why do you hate Jews, if you have never met one and you would not know one if you ran in to one?  Let me add here, there were exceptions; some knew a Jew and even a very small minority admitted they had a friend who was a Jew.
The hierarchy of the Presbyterian Church has bought in the BDS (Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions) movement.  I forgive them for that only because God has told me throughout His word that He will forgive me in the same measure that I forgive others.)  Now I admit I have a hard time with that in that I cannot understand how a ‘person of the cloth’ can chose the world’s hype over the proven word of God. 

But I have the same problem with those who selling the trash-bucket teachings that God no longer loves His chosen land and people.  I wonder what rational might run through their brains to justify that opinion; it certainly is not based on the writings of Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel and the Minor Prophets.

While you are re-reading the Scripture of the day, slip down a few verses to verse 21 and notice these words, “Let us go at once to entreat the favor of the Lord, and to seek the Lord of hosts; I will also go.” So many peoples and mighty nations will come seek the Lord of host in Jerusalem and to entreat the favor of the Lord.”  Now check this out folks!  “Thus says the Lord of Hosts, in those days ten men from all the nations will grasp the garment of a Jew saying, ‘Let us go with you, for we have heard that God is with you’”.   Hey, would that not be neat to have someone lock onto your arm and say “Let me go with you because I see the Lord in you”.

Isaiah also had something to say about this Replacement-Theology blasphemy when he wrote, “The sons of those who afflicted you will come bowing to you and all those who despised you will bow themselves at the soles of your feet; and they will call you the city of the Lord, the Zion of the Holy One of Israel” (Isaiah 60:14).

But, haven’t the Jews been in a rebellious state for thousands of years?  I mean how patient can God be?  Good question to which I would respond, “When I look into the mirror each day I am reminded that Jesus died for the person staring back at me.  He did not have to.  He could have called a massive army of angels and snuffed out the whole rebellious gang but He was sent to die for you and me.  Wow, thank you Lord. 

  So why has His patience not run out?  We might say it wavered a bit when God said’ “It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am about to act, but for My holy name, which you have profaned among the nations where you went.  I will vindicate the holiness of My great name which has been profaned among the nations, which you have profaned in their midst” (Ezek.36:22b-23a).


Soooo,  I sometimes, oh, often even, get a wee bit upset when I hear brothers and sisters in Christ say they believe God no longer loves Israel, the apple of His eye, because of their sin and rebellion. But keep in mind that person staring back at you’ while brushing your teeth in the morning’ has the same malady the Jews have had – they are sinners, just like you and me.  The difference – we are saved by His wondrous grace.  I close this epistle with a suggestion:  if you are a wee-bit testy on whether God still loves Israel, Paul wrote a one liner that clears it up: “…and so all Israel will be saved; just as it is written.”  (Rom. 12:26).  That means He never gives up.  Wow, is that not awesome! 

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment