Wednesday, September 28, 2016

To Reach the Top of the Mountain Requires Commitment!


“I will lead the blind by a way they do not know, in paths they do not know, I will guide them.  I will make darkness into light before them and rugged places into plains.  These are the things I will do, and I will not leave them undone” (Isa. 42:16).

Hey Gang:  Our church has set a goal to raise sufficient funds to tear down the old and replace it with the new.  The Pastor has been preaching a series on the subject “Raising the Roof” meaning raising the roof of the new building.  Our church has gone through tremendous growth in the past several years resulting in many new young families with many new little people.  

This has resulted in a ritual of giving each teacher a shoe horn as they enter their shoe box classrooms to be used to fit the increased numbers into the class room.  Just jesting on the shoe horns, but only on the shoe horns.  What a wondrous blessing it is to see this problem increasing with each Sunday.  At this point, nearing the two hundred plateau in weekly attendance. 

This,the result of a young pastor who also has five little ones, who preaches the word and nothing but the word, and, where the word is preached- nothing but the word- there is growth.  This you can take to the bank!  This is truly a family church.

The theme this week was focused on money but, then again, it really was not on money.  It was more focused on the “process” of raising the needed support to “Raise the Roof”.  As I listened to his words many memories of by- gone years when we were building the needed facilities at the Village, came flooding through my mind.  

I recalled the day I spoke at a Rotary Club and laid out the vision that I felt God Had shown me in California, that we were about to set out making it a reality.  It was a message that was enthusiastically received but at the end of the meeting a group of men were sitting around one of the tables. They called me over and asked the question, “How are you going to do all of this and where are you going to get the money?” 

My response: “I do not have a clue!”  A big lanky sort of fellow that reminded me of my dad, who I learned later was a co-president of a Foundation said, “I will support you” anyone who is that honest will surely succeed.  

Our pastor had just returned from a hunting trip to Colorado.  If you know anything about such trips, you know the hunting is done in the high country.  Have been in the mountains many times I can say with gusto it is a wonderful experience to look up at these majestic creations of God with awe deep in your heart!

The morning after arriving in base camp, Pastor awoke to the reality that seeing the top of the mountain was vastly different than hiking to the top of the mountain where the deer and elk roam.  He learned very abruptly, as they started the climb of three miles and 2000 feet to the summit, that the process getting there was going to be a test of one’s will power and fortitude.

As I listened to his narrative of their trips up and down the mountain, a memory flooded my mind - the day that I sat down with paper and pen and wrote a description of what I thought God had told me we were to do, in the coming years.  I completed the task in several hours.  I confess it was very easy and I did not even raise a sweat. BUT- from the moment God opened the door and said, “Go for it!” it was rope- burn time, just trying to hang on!    

If you want perfect understanding of what I am saying, reread the Scripture of the morning.  In the early years I learned what Isaiah meant when he wrote, “I will lead the blind by a way they do not know, in paths they do not know I will guide them.  I will make darkness into light before them and rugged places into plains.  These are the things I will do, and I will not leave them undone” (Isa. 42:16).  

There were many days when I found myself on paths I did not recognize.  I learned a great deal about faith and depending on God in those early years, AND every year since.   

Blessings,    

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment