Friday, February 23, 2018

The Most Fabuous Words Ever Spoken


“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness”.  (I John 1:9)

Hey Gang:  I went to the doctor the other day to get my ears cleaned out and came home with the flu.  I then gave it to my bride so the date planner was washed clean and we have been confined in our agony to the couch and chair.  But it has not been a total waste of time, I cleaned off my desk for the first time in months and am nearly prepared for having our taxes done.

But I have also learned that it is at those times when I have felt the presence of the Lord more closely.  Eric, the Village chaplain, has been focusing on John this month, so I have been following along in support of his teaching and this month he has focused on chapters 17 through 20. 

At the conclusion of reading this powerful and tragic story, I found myself is awe once again with the question, ‘How He did it? I don’t have a clue, for I lack the understanding to truly know the depth of God’s love for us.  It would have been totally unexpected and unnatural from anyone else; but Jesus, the victim in this awful passion play, was ever the victor!

 “Father, forgive them.” Three simple words- powerfully summed up the reason for His life on earth.   The bridge from God to man was paved with Jesus blood and built on the foundation of forgiveness.  His birth in Bethlehem, childhood in Nazareth, baptism in the Jordan, His miracles, and teachings, and the Last Supper with His disciples were all scenes leading up to this moment. 

They all built steadily and relentlessly to this climax: “Father, forgive them.”  How powerful are the words “He could have called down ten thousand angels but He choose to die for you and me”. 

Did it have meaning?  Yes, many around Him found forgiveness. The thief on the cross, the centurion, Peter was forgiven for his denial, as were the other disciples.  I suspect there were many in the cut-throat crowd that fell on their knees that day; perhaps even some of the religious leaders. 
And then there were 3000 who found forgiveness at Pentecost.  Later the message of forgiveness was taken to cities all over the known world of the first century.

And the story of forgiveness has echoed through the centuries, since it was uttered on Calvary and is very much alive today! Hallelujah!

I have been a recipient of that forgiveness - Jesus prayed for me on the cross.!  I am deeply ashamed for the part I played in placing Jesus on that hideous tree. When He said “Father, forgive them” He included me and He included you!  

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment