Monday, August 13, 2018

How Old Is Too Old?


“Blow the trumpet in Zion,  And sound an alarm on My holy mountain!  Let all the inhabitants of the land tremble, for the day of the Lord is coming.  Surely it is near” (Joel 2:1).

Hey Gang, In the past several years I have found myself waking up in the middle of the night and, let me tell you I do not like it one bit.  But then one day, or should I say night, God sent a very special revelation my way – “You pray that I will give you the words to send in the gramps morning thoughts that will encourage, penetrate and be a refuge for people who are struggling.  In the middle of the night I have your undivided attention, something that is rare during the busy parts of your day.”  And, I must admit, that many of the thoughts that end up in the morning messages come to me in the middle of the night.

Last night, my thoughts were of the depressing news that a very close friend of ours, who has been fighting the war against Parkinson’s for many years, is losing the battle.  On one of his especially bad days he said to his bride- of many years, ”My prayer is that God will allow me to do one more thing for Him before I am called home”. 

 You see, when he learned he had Parkinson’s, he made a vow to the Lord that he would seek out other Parkinson’s victims, come along-side them and make sure the Lord was an integral part of their battle. 

I love the book of Zechariah and, I believe it is a message for his children today. On those days when the zip in my step is a wee bit slower and I allow the idea that I am too old to be of much value to the Lord, I find great solace in Zechariah’s words in 12:8: “In that day the Lord will defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and  the one who is feeble among them, in that day will be like David, and the house of David will be like God, like the angel of the Lord before them,


We just returned for a prophecy conference that focused on Matthew 24 and 25.   As I sat there waiting for the service to begin I looked over the hundreds of people who were there. I saw a commonness about them- nearly all had gray hair and most had a hitch-in-their- get-along.  I am sure. if you asked each one they would confess the seats were too hard. (it is a basketball arena); it took great effort to get there; they would be more comfortable in their easy chair at home.

I believe, if you would have asked each one why they were there, they would say, “I am honing the wheel so that I can do one more thing for my Lord.”  There were a multitude of canes, wheel chairs and devices to aid in balance but, in those three days I did not hear a single “O Woe is me.” I did see joy and rejoicing in the faces of all who were there.  Old? Feeble? yes, but there was great power in that room!

As God promised Joshua’s army: “No man hath been able to stand before you unto this day.  One man of you shall chase a thousand; for the Lord your God, He it is that fights for you, as he hath promised you” (Jos. 23:9-10).  Can you say “whoooooopie” to that?

                             

So, warriors for Christ, know this:  for years now, Satan has terrorized God’s people. But all along, God has been training His special forces units and one day soon He will unleash them within His church- doing exploits in the name and power of Christ.  And how do we become a warrior for Christ?

“Paul gives us the way: “Therefore, I urge you, brethren by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship and do not be conformed to this world”.  (Rom. 12:1-2a).

Blessings, 

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment