Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Why My One Leg is Shorter Than the Other....



Hey Gang, Did you know I am a Pennsylvania Hillbilly and lived my early years in a three home coal-miners village way back in the Appalachian Mountains?  They used to say we lived so far back in the sticks even the hoot owls carried knapsacks and they pumped sunshine to us every Saturday morning.  If you know anything about the coal miners of that day, you know they were generally uneducated men who were held captive by their lack of skills.

In my teen-aged years I was on the same path as my dad and did not do well in school.  I certainly did not have the confidence that I was of much value to anyone.  And then two things happened in my life that turned me around.  I met a pearl-of-great price who become my bride and I was drafted into the military.  The military proved to me that I had talents and my bride, through her confidence, love and commitment, provided me with a new direction for my life.

When I finished my tour in the Air Force, I became an Air Traffic Controller for the FAA but God said, “Don’t get too comfortable” and closed that door.  I then returned to college, graduated and worked my way up in the Juvenile Justice system in California but again God said, “Don’t get too comfortable” and closed that door.

What now, Lord?  There is a story in the Word about a man named Abram, whom God renamed Abraham; He also received a call “to not get too comfortable”.  As a matter of fact, God said to him one day, “Pack it and follow my directions to where I will send you and I will do a mighty work through you.” 

Suddenly, he became my role model.  God said to me, “Pack it and follow my directions and I will provide everything you will need to do a work for Me”.  I do not use the word “mighty work” as I mentioned, my foundations did not include how to build and manage anything let alone a ministry that would one day grow into a Place of Miracles. 
       
I often asked the question, “God, why did You choose me to develop the Village?  Were there not better educated, more experienced people that would have done a better job?”

So why me Lord?  His answer was clear, “Because you were willing.”  I say all of that aimed at one person out there who will read this gramps message this morning and is seeking a word from the Lord about what they should do with the remainder of their life.  I leave you with one piece of advice that worked for me every time – “God knows how to close doors”.  If you feel God is saying go, then go!  If you misread the call, God also knows how to divert the path into His path. 

 My legacy – God said go.  I went.

So, my young friends and family – trust and obey for there is no other way than to be happy in Jesus than to trust and obey.  Do not get too comfortable; BE AVAILABLE!

Blessings,  

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment