Monday, December 3, 2018

The Joy of Anticipation!


“Therefore, the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, a virgin will be with child and bear a son, and she will call His name Immanuel” (Isaiah 7:14).

Hey Gang:  If you have been tuned into the Gramps Morning Messages since its inception eight years ago, you have probably heard a message similar to this around each Christmas Season, for I have learned, through my 85 years, that it is not the gift that builds memories but the joy of anticipation - waiting to see if you would be blessed with that very special wish of your heart.

If someone were to ask me if I remember any very special gifts that I waited for with great anticipation, I would quickly reply, “Yes”! Actually, two: one where I was the recipient of a very special gift and one where I gave a very special gift. 

I was born in depression time and work was hard to find. My Dad, being limited in his education, was forced to seek jobs that others would not consider.  He was a coal miner in the mountains of Pennsylvania.  In those days the coal miners lived in survival mode, with nary a penny to spare.

In the summer of my fifth year I saw a picture of a yellow truck that was very special – it had a dumping capability!  Keep in mind that was eighty years ago and toys did not have all the bangles and beads they have today.  I dreamed about that truck every day and, every night, the truck found its way into my “Lay me down to sleep” prayers.

I don’t know how she did it, but my mother had gift of stretching dollars; each Christmas she would lift the rug and take out the few dollars she had laid aside so that we would not forget the joys of Christmas. 

Well, Christmas Eve arrived, and I went to bed with such anticipation - surely that little yellow truck would be under the tree the next morning. But, when morning came, and I ran to the tree, there was no little yellow truck!   Instead there was a note with my name on it that said, “If you follow the instructions in this note you will find a treasure at the end of the path.” 

The snows in the mountains that year were very heavy, so the path was vey short and easy to follow.  One only had to follow the foot steps of the one who made them in the snow, and  made this miracle a reality for a five-year-old who had but one dream – a little yellow truck!  Well, I am sure you have guessed by now, at the end of the path was the little yellow truck.  

As I think back to that morning, when a little guy who had one wish was given that wish after months of anticipation, I realized it was not the truck that made it so special but the anticipation of dreaming about that truck.  I also learned how-very-much my mother loved me and sacrificed so that my dream could be fulfilled.  

I also learned that there was a fringe benefit that comes with the joy of anticipation.  Every morning when I picked up the little yellow truck, I knew my mom made a sacrifice to make sure I had my dream fulfilled. 

It also opened my heart to the true meaning of Christmas.   It is not the bangles and beads, the gifts and wrapping, the trees or the trees decorated with lights and trimming,  it is the truth that “God so loved me that He sent His only begotten Son to earth to walk in my shoes, carry my burdens and sins to the cross and prepare me for a day when I will be with Him for all eternity.” (Hillbilly rendition).
Tune in tomorrow and see what that other very special gift of anticipation is  that remains a very important, even essential part of my life. 

Blessings,

Gramps



No comments:

Post a Comment