Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Here I Go Again!




“One of the criminals who were hanged there was hurling abuse at Him, saying, “Are you not the Christ?  Save yourself and us”.  But the other answered, and rebuking him said, “Do you not fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation” (Luke 23:39-40). 


Hey gang, since writing the first Morning Message, I have referred to the importance of making choices many times.  God created into us a free will - with the choice of where we will spend eternity.  In my tenure, as exulted Eagle of the Village, I spoke many times to groups about the work that we were priviledged to do. I always asked God to give me something new and special to share with each group. 

On one accession I stopped by a Burger King for a hamburger and noticed a Star War advertisement on the wall that said: “Your choices determine your destiny”.  After getting back on the road =I heard that still, but huge, voice whispered in my ear, “ The saying was not complete. It should read, “Your Values Determine Your Choices which in turn Determines your Destination”.  Not a bad saying to hang on your bathroom mirror.

The absolute bottom line of choices is that God gives eternal choices which have eternal consequences.

Much has been said about the penitent thief, and it certainly warrants our admiration.  But while we rejoice at the thief who changed, dare we forget the one who didn’t?  What about him, Jesus?  Wouldn’t a personal invitation have been appropriate?  Wouldn’t a word of persuasion be timely?

Did not the shepherd leave the ninety and nine to pursue the one lost sheep?  Did the housewife not sweep the floor until she found the lost coin?  Yes, the shepherd did, and the housewife did, but the father of the prodigal did nothing.     

The sheep was lost innocently.  The coin was lost irresponsibly, and the prodigal son left intentionally.  The father gave him the choice.  Jesus gave both criminals the same opportunity!

There are times when God sends thunder to stir us.  There are times when He sends blessings to lure us.  But then there are times when God sends nothing but silence, as He honors us with the freedom to choose where we will spend eternity.

I wish I could say all of my choices were right on and brought glory and honor to God, but that would be one of greater falsehoods of all time.  I look back over my life and say, “What if?” What if I could make up for some of those bad decisions?  And praise God, I can and I did!  One good choice for eternity offsets a thousand bad ones on earth.

So, my young friends, Jesus in His Sermon on the Mount gave us a choice that held within it the key to where we will spend eternity: “Seek first the Kingdom of God and all these things will be added unto you”.  (Matt. 6:33). 

Blessings,

Gramps  

No comments:

Post a Comment