Sunday, February 10, 2013

Lenten Series: Jesus Name Above ALL Names


“Christ is the visible image of the invisible God.  He existed before anything was created and is supreme over all creation, for through him God created everything in the heavenly realms and on earth.  He made the things we can see and the things we can’t see—such as thrones, kingdoms, rulers, and authorities in the unseen world.  Everything was created through him and FOR HIM. (emphasis mine) Colossians 1:15-16

It seems the Lord has laid on my heart to share some special thoughts about His precious Name, titles, roles, and character qualities during this Lenten Season.  So I, Gma, will add a special Sunday bonus for several weeks.
My goal is that you search the Word and listen to the voice of JESUS during this time.  Whether you choose to fast and fill that time with the Word or just set aside special time to read His word and listen for His nudging, God will bless you beyond measure.

This will in no way be extensive of His names or Scripture references – Volumes have been written about His names. Two of my favorite are Portraits of Christ by Henry Gariepy, and Praying the Names of Jesus by Ann Spangler.  I have one Devotional of 365 names or references, each with Scriptures. I do want you to be aware that both the Old and New Testaments have names and titles for Messiah and I encourage you to dig deeper. One of my current projects is matching Old Testament names and Scriptures with New Testament ones.  In the Old Testament Messiah is anticipated but concealed, and in the New Testament He is revealed. Scholars probably did us a dis-service by separating them

My thoughts are to share some of the titles from the Old Testament, hear what Father God has to say about His Son, what Jesus says about Himself, and what titles others use. Be blessed as you call upon His name  - Yeshua ha Mashiah (Machia)

Who is the King of glory??  ( Read  Ps 24:7-10)
There is no one word, phrase or book that describes Him. It takes the whole Bible. Some scholars have picked out God-themes in each book of the Bible.  (If you don’t have these let me know)  Jesus came from His place to my place to die in my place to take me to His place! He came to show us His Father’s great love and teach about the Kingdom of God.

Who is Jesus to you?  For me it changes by the day.  First of all, He is God’s Son who gave his life as penalty for my sin so that I can boldly come into God’s presence and crawl upon his lap.  He is my Abba Father! Just as my earthly father had many different roles in my life, depending on my age and needs, so does Jesus my Savior. His role in my life changes as my needs, and circumstances change. I draw on different qualities of His loving Kingliness. However, He never changes….Jesus never changes!!  He is the same – yesterday, today and forever!
Jesus, Name Above All Names              (No author given)
Jesus, name above all names Beautiful Savior, glorious Lord.
Emmanuel, God is with us; Blessed Redeemer, Living Word.      

No comments:

Post a Comment