Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Crown of Exultation


"Therefore, my beloved brethren whom I long to see, my joy and crown, in this way stand firm in the Lord, my beloved" (Phil. 4:1).   "For who is our hope of joy of crown of exultation?  Is it not even you, in the presence of our Lord Jesus at His coming?  For you are our glory and joy". (I Thess. 2:19-20).

Hey Gang, how is your self control? Remember from the last morning message (Aug 5) that Paul challenged us to run the race in order to win and receive an "imperishable crown"?   This morning we are going to look at a second crown, the Crown of Exultation described in the morning Scriptures. 

As mentioned before, my understanding of words, with more than four letters, is very limited and, when I come across words like "exultation" it sends me to Webster to find out what Paul is saying.  Webster defines the word as ‘the act of rejoicing, jubilation and triumph'.   I don't know about you but I crave a crown of rejoicing, jubilation and triumph in these very dark days. 

This morning, in my devotions, I sensed the need to return to Paul's first letter to the Thessalonians. In the last paragraph of this letter he gives us a formula to be ‘overcomers’.    He challenged the brethren:  "Appreciate those who diligently labor among you" and "Live in peace with one another" and "to admonish the unruly, and encourage the faint hearted and weak and be patient with everyone." (1 Thess. 5:12-14).

In our work with children we planted many seeds that fell among the weeds, some fell on rocky soil or were planted in very shallow soil and were eaten up by the woes of the day. We discovered that there was a common denominator among them - that being a dullness of their eyes.    

Oh, there were other traits that were common, but this one was my measure of the level of climbing out of the pit.  When asked, "How do you know when the youngster is ready to go out into the world and test his new skills and successes?  I responded with these indicators:  First, when I see the young man acting out here with some behaviors that got him here, and not doing them at home when on visits, I know his tenure here is about over.

But the other is far more solid as an indicator - his eyes have a sparkle in them, a sparkle that was not there when he arrived.   The bondage has been broken, and his life has taken on an air of rejoicing,  of jubilation and of triumph.  He has earned "joy and the Crown of Exultation in his heart.

Soooo, my friends and neighbors, Do you have a Crown of Exultation waiting for you in the throne room of heaven?  If not, why not?  Jesus said, “ I stand at the door of your heart wanting to come in and fellowship with you.”  He also said, “Ask and I will give you the joys of heaven” and He said, “I am and way, truth and life” and the roadway to rejoicing, jubilation and triumph so jump on board and enjoy the unbelievable things that I have I want, so badly, to give to you. ( “Gramps rendition”)

Blessings,
Gramps


No comments:

Post a Comment