Monday, October 21, 2013

A Lesson in Persistance


"And Jesus said to  him, "The foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has no where to lay His head"  (Luke 9:58).

 Hey gang:  I was never much of a bird watcher in my growing up years.  Birds were something that flew over your newly washed car and deposited some excess baggage that made a mess on your shiny chariot. But in recent years I have gained a new interest in these little critters.

 Several weeks ago the Lord lead me to write a morning message on persistence, but since writing that message, God has been driving home the true meaning of persistence with a very fascinating object lesson. 

Over the entrance to my garage is a light that protrudes from the top of the door.  One day I noticed that it appeared that there was a heap of dirt and twigs that somehow accumulated on the light.  So I go out my trusty hose and washed what I thought was debris from the light, thinking another job completed.

 But, the next day as I was sitting on the deck, I noticed there was another accumulation of dirt and debris on the light and a bird working diligently to place the twig, that she had just returned with, in just the right spot. 

 Now with shame I tell you this, I, and that little bird, had a knock down drag out battle for more than a week.  She would build and I would hose, only to see her begin the process all over again within minutes of my destructive nature.  And then I learned, if you set a can on the light, the bird would give up the ghost and seek asylum someplace else.

 That was up until this year.  Once again, I know not if it is the same two birds that have built their tenement house on my light in previous years, but once again there appeared on my light dirt and twigs molded neatly into a nest and in the nest three tiny eggs.  Now, as Paul Harvey would say, here is the rest of the story. 

After the young hatchlings learned to use their God-given talents and flew the coup (nest) I cleaned the debris from the light thinking the birth process was finished for the year and once again washed the light off - but guess what, I came home after two days away and low and behold there was another clog of dirt and twigs on the light so I got out the hose and removed it.  I then placed a can on the light to end this process.

 End of story, right?  Not in your sweet bippy!  Claribelle, as we have fondly named her, returned and began to build her nest once again and this time she neatly built it around the can and today we are blessed with three little eggs waiting for the arrival of three creations of God.

Soooo, my young friends, Take a word from Claribelle this morning –‘If it ain't worth fighting for it ain't worth having’.  God said go and be disciples. We need to be persistent in following His command.


 Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment