Monday, March 27, 2017

Door Knobs or Relationship?


“The Lord is near to all who call upon Him. To all who call upon Him in truth.  He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him; He will also hear their cry and will save them” (Psalm`145:18-19).

Hey Gang- I wonder, when David wrote the Psalms did he write some of them while he was tending the sheep of his father?  Did he write some when he was camped out running from Saul? Perhaps even were there nights in the palace after he became king?.  It does not really matter; they have been refuge and strength for multitudes down through the ages.

But this I know! God said: “I have found David son of Jesse a man after my own heart, he will do everything I want him to do” (Acts 13:22b).  I have read that verse many, many times.  Wow, would it not be fabulous to be a ‘man after God’s own heart’?  But was David not born to Nitzevet and Jesse, parents just as I was born to Catherine and John?  Did David not shirk his duties as king and general of his troops when he should have been in battle?  Did he not violate the wife of one of his generals and then, did he not orchestrate the death of that general? 

In other words, David was a gross sinner in his lifetime – just liked me.  So, Lord, can I be a man after your heart?  I have heard many say, I wish I could be like him or her- but that is not God’s desire or plan for each of His creation.  It is said no two snowflakes are alike, I am not sure how they know.  Do I want to be like David, only in the truth that I want to be a ‘man after God’s heart.’    

I have used the analogy that when God breathes life into us, (you do believe God breathes life into you, don’t you?) He also places His wiring system in you; a wiring system that lays dormant until we recognize the need for Christ in our lives and surrender our all to Him.  I believe the wiring analogy is a hillbilly rendition of being attached to the vine.

If we choose not to plug our power cord into God’s power supply, we are like a lamp with no light or a tree with no fruit.  You may even be a great success with tons of accolades that you can brag about but, unless you are grafted into the vine and producing fruit, you are on dangerous ground.

So, young lads and ladies, be aware that Jesus said fruitless vines would be pruned.  I don’t know about you but I certainly do not like being ‘pruned’.  Jesus remedy for pruning – “Abide in Me!”  I believe the key to being a man after God’s heart is a found in this Psalm about the omnipresence and omniscience of God: “Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me and know my anxious thoughts; and see if there be any hurtful way in me, and lead me in the everlasting way” (Psa. 139:23-24).

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment