Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Has God Ever Told You: "Get Into the Boat? Con't

                        First century fishing boat found in the Sea of Galilee in the last century

 “Immediately He made the disciples get into the boat and go ahead of Him to the other side, while He sent the crowds away.” (Matt. 14:22).

Hey Gang:  We learned in the last Morning Message that Jesus did, indeed, have bad days.  He had lost his best friend, John the Baptist, had tried to go into the mountain and pray but the people came to Him for healing and His disciples had failed to use their God-given power to feed the people. 

We know the results of their failure. Jesus said, “Bring the fives loaves and two fish here to Me (vs. 18).  “And He looked up to heaven and blessed the food and breaking the loaves, He gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the crowds” (vs.19b.).

Sooo, what is going through your mind this morning?  If God suddenly spoke to you and said: “I am going to send a very hungry group of people across your path today and I want you to feed them.  I will provide you with a couple fish a few loaves, what would you say?

In the early years of developing the Village we had a group of young people who worked for us and showed up at our table, completely unexpected, many times.  On one Sunday noon we began our meal with our family of six and ended with more than twenty at our table, and I do not recall ever running out of food.  I know there is the proverbial ‘add water to the soup’ but that was not the case.
 
It was now time to send the people away and get out the bed rolls, build a fire and sit around chewing the fat over what had transpired that day, Right?  No, that is not what Jesus had in mind. Keep in mind John’s words: “He knew what He was going to do” (John 6:6).   It was time for another life-changing learning experience.  It was time to turn up the heat.  Hey, have you ever been there when God says, “I need to get your attention “Immediately, Get in the boat?”

It is here we find the Scripture for the day: “Notice the first word “IMMEDIATELY!” One might get the idea that Jesus looked at the failures of the day with a great deal of concern.  The shadows of the cross were growing more ominous each day and He knew He did not have much time to prepare His twelve to carry the Good News to the multitudes after He had ascended to the Father.
 
One of the profound memories I have of Korea was the night I pulled guard duty on the fourth watch. It was black as coal and I was terrified.  At the point when I thought my thumper was going to explode, suddenly a heard music.  I thought surely my life was about to end and the angels were preparing the choir for my home coming.  There was a Catholic School just down the hill from the Center and a nun had gotten up for her morning prayers and was playing the Lord’s Prayer.  Now I want you to know folks, I mentioned I was a Laodicean Christian at that time, but I took a gigantic step towards full commitment that night. 

Again, I remember a question that Pastor Stool asked that day: “Do you think Jesus was punishing the disciples or trying to get their attention?  What say ye?

As Paul Harvey would say, “Be sure and tune in tomorrow for the rest of the story!”

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment