Monday, September 24, 2018

Do You Have A Leak In Your Roof?


"I have seen His ways, but I will heal him; I will lead him and restore comfort to him; and to his mourners.  Creating the praise of the lips.   Peace, peace to him who is far and to him who is near, "says the Lord, "And I will heal him."  Is. 57:18-19).

Hey Gang:  I had a friend, who has now gone to be with the Lord, who had many very unique sayings.  One of his better-known sayings was, "I need to go home and see what is broken".  In recent weeks and even months I have adopted that saying for it seems I live in-the-midst of the Peter Principle: "If it can dysfunction it will".

Did you ever have one of those months?  One day several years ago, we had a horrendous rain storm.  (I suspect that the One who has His hands on the controls, was really angry and gave us a light and sound show to let us know He was not pleased with us.)  The results: I found water dripping in places it should not drip, like around a light fixture in the kitchen and around a window in the basement. 

Now some would say that is a good thing because it let me know there was a problem that could lead to a much deeper problems.  But I did not look at it in that way that night.  What I saw was my check book taking a sever hit, for it sounded like a major repair bill.

God knew I was I was not counting my blessings that day, so He sent me a message. It came in the form of an insert in my monthly bulletin from Voice of Martyrs.  Now if you really want to zero in on how blessed you are, you might want to look at what is happening in many parts of our world - where to be a Christ believe is not healthy for longevity.
 
It was about a family who had been attacked by rebels- simply because they loved the Lord.  They did not have to worry about a simple leak in the roof, because the rebels had not only had beaten them with rods and whips, but also had burned their home to the ground.

I do not have to look very far these days to find how very blessed I am, even when the roof leaks!  For a bucket of tar can heal such wounds, and, as our Scripture tells Me, “My God shall  supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus”(Phil. 4:19).

The Psalmist wrote, "He will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways" (Ps. 91:11).    Scripture is filled with God's promises of lavish protection.  "He promises to keep you as the apple of His eyes and to hide you under His mighty wings” (Ps. 17:8),  

So, I went to the local "Toys for Men store” (Menards), purchased a bucket of tar and a brush and attacked the leaks. Each time I swabbed the brush across an area, I prayed for that family that paid a horrendous price because they chose to love the Lord with all their heart and soul. How about you?  Do you have a leak in your roof?  If not, praise God, and pray for those who do!  And those suffering persecution that we cannot even imagine!

Blessings,

Gramps

PS this was written several months ago. Today we need to continue praying for the victims of the storms and flooding; first responders; those who are on rescue and restoration crews; volunteers who are there now helping and those who will come; and the Chaplains who are there to help grieving and hurting facing difficult losses.

No comments:

Post a Comment