Tuesday, November 20, 2018

A Day to Pig-Out on Turkey or to GIve Thanks to the Lord


“Know the Lord Himself is God; It is He who has made us and not we ourselves; we are His people and the sheep of His pasture.  Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise.  Give thanks to Him, bless His name” (Psa. 100:3-4). “O, come, let us sing for joy to the Lord. Let us shout joyfully to the rock of our salvation.  Let us come before your presence with thanksgiving. Let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms” (Psa. 95:1-2).

Hey Gang:  This morning, about three a.m. when I was tossing and turning trying to find a comfortable position for my sore back, the thought of Thanksgiving came into my thoughts.  The question: What does one write about Thanksgiving when our nation is in such turmoil and folks do not seem to be too concerned with saying thank you - to anyone for anything?

Years ago, one of the younger boys at the Village said to me, “Mr. H. why don’t we celebrate Thanksgiving every day and only one day be grumpy?”  Sounded like a good idea but we know that positive anything does not sell newspapers.

Years ago, a Newspaper editor announced to his readers that he was going to publish a weekly handout of all the good things that were happening in the community.  A fine gesture that lasted less than two months - because only a few of the elderly readers bothered to pick it up.

The bride- of-my- youth was going through her considerable archives and came up with this neat Recipe for Thanksgiving that might give you “food” for thought.  I especially like Mathew Henry’s prayer of thanks on the night he was robbed:  “I thank Thee, first, because I was never robbed  before; second, because although they took my purse, they did not take my life; third, although they took my all, it was not much; fourth, it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed!”

The Recipe for Thanksgiving is based on Paul’s letter to the Thessalonians:  “In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you”   (1 Thess: 5:18).  You might want to pay special attention to this Morning Message and share around your Thanksgiving table.

 Ingredients:
Two Teaspoons of Trust: “Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.  For My yoke is easy and My burden is light” (Matthew 11:28-30).

One Cup of Contentment “…For I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content” (Phil. 4:11).

Three Tablespoons of Gratitude “…giving thanks to the Father who has qualified is to be  partakers in the inheritance of the saints in the light.  He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of God of His love, in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins” (Col. 1:12-14).

One Teaspoon of FaithFor God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son. That whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.  For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved” (John 3:16-17).

Inclusion of these ingredients will make a mighty fine desert for your Thanksgiving feast. But don’t forget to close with a verse of praise for that which He provided for your table today.  “Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad, let them say among the nations, “The Lord reigns!”

Blessings to you this Thanksgiving Season.

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment