Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Gloom VS JOY!

 


Precisely because they have misled my people, Saying Peace, when there is no peace… Ezekiel 13:10 (ESV)

Hey Gang, my Devotional, Mornings with Jesus, hit my hot button today and I thought it  might challenge you as well. Read to the end!

 

Though I’ve lived most of my life in the Northwoods of Wisconsin, I’m a fan of southern expressions.  To describe the string of high temps lately - the heat dramatically out of character for this area - The day is hot enough to sell ice cubes to a polar Bear.  Of a savvy salesman, I’d say, “He’s so good at it, that he could sell wool socks to a lifeguard.”

I’ve been thinking about catchphrases like that lately because of the pervasive air of sadness and gloom that’s as close to us as the evening news or a social media thread.  I’m glad I’m not joy’s marketing strategist.  How do you market Joy to a joyless, peaceless culture?  What enticements could anyone offer to a world that is noted for its perpetually sour mood, it’s quickness to complain, its daily evidence of hatred, and deeply embedded despair disorder?

WAIT! I am on the joy-marketing strategy team by virtue of my relationship with the JOY-GIVER, Jesus!  It’s part of my calling to promote what HE promoted.  I’m a carrier - a JOY carrier!  It’s in the DNA He gave me when I gave Him my life.

My marketing bullet points are: demonstrate what real JOY look like: show that real JOY is found in Jesus, despite circumstances; and keep JOY vibrant and visible even when life is hard.

Like selling wool socks to a lifeguard, right? NO, it’s like selling a concept to a world that is already hungering and thirsting for it: “Come and get your JOY.  JOY for the taking. No minimum age or height requirements.  It’s all here in Jesus, waiting for you.”    - Cynthis Ruchti

 

My friends, Gramps has asked this question before: “How does your JOY meter register.” Nehemiah was one of his favorite Bible characters and a favorite Scripture was Chapter eight, verse 10 the last line: “And the Joy of the Lord is your strength.” Peter, Paul and John all wrote that the Joy of the Lord is such a part of the Believers walk.

In John 15:11 Jesus himself tells us of the joy we should have and share: “These things have I spoken unto you that MY JOY may remain in you and that your JOY may be full.”

Soooo, Chase the sadness and gloom!  JOY - like Love, Peace other fruits of the Spirit - is a choice that you make.  Gramps often said that many Believers looked like they had been baptized in pickle juice.  Check your self: Do you reflect the JOY of Jesus? We are the only Bible many people read. Be sure others thirst for the Joy of Jesus in you.

Blessings,
Gma J

No comments:

Post a Comment