Monday, June 20, 2011

Do You Have An Itch You Cannot Scratch?


Hey Gang: When was the last time you were satisfied? I mean rally satisfied. Paul wrote in his first letter to Timothy “We brought nothing into the world, so we can take nothing out. But, if we have food and clothes, we will be satisfied with that.” (1 Timothy 6:7-8)

Satisfied? I believe most would agree, that is something we are not. We take a vacation of a life time, we satiate ourselves with sun, fun, and good food. But even in the midst of the “vacation of a life time” our brains are locked into the “honey do” list and dozen or more responsibilities that await our attention the moment we return to our Rehoboth (home).

As a child we wish we were teenager’s, as teen we wish we were adults, if we are in middle management, we wish we were in the ivory tower brigade. We are just not satisfied!

Contentment is a difficult virtue. Why? Because there is nothing on earth that can satisfy our deepest longing. We long to see God. When God breathed life into our bodies he also wired us to one day be one with Him and until we plug into His power supply there can be no contentment in our hearts.

In Philippians four, Paul gives us a key to contentment. First he tells us, “Be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your request be made known to God” (4:6). A few verses later he wrote, “I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along under humble situations or in abundant living”.

Paul went on to quote that very famous verse that we tend to rely on when the chips are falling all around us “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me” (4:13).

Sooo, young lads and lassies, this I can attest to….as I have advanced in the Golden Years (golden for the medical profession) I have become a wee bit more satisfied. The best part of my day is the early morning hours when I lock myself away with the Lord and His Word. That my young friends is pure contentment. Try it, I think you will like it!


Blessings


Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment