Monday, December 28, 2015

A TIme For Change


“Come to Me. All who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest” (Matt. 11:28).

Hey Gang:  Do you know what a magnet is?  I mean have you ever been drawn to something like a magnet?  Well, never having been drawn to something by a magnet, I do not have a clue how that felt but I do know how it feels to be drawn to Bens Pretzel shop in Shipshewana, Indiana.  There are two things in this world that get my immediate attention, baked pretzels, you know the big, fat kind and apple dumplings.  

As a child growing up I had a grandma “mom” that had the wondrous ability of making apple dumplings to perfection.  When she was making apple dumplings the whole house was filled with an aroma that filled your heart and mind with anticipation.  But one day I went off to college and later into the Air Force; during my absence my “mom” passed away.  I feared with her went the recipe for her ‘apple dumplings. 

And then one day, at a football game, I met this lady who caught my eye and several years later she became my bride.  I always have said that she was far more than I deserved, she was kind of like a Cadillac and I was more of the Edsel class.    And then I learned what a true Cadillac she was for she had the same wondrous ability to make apple dumplings, just like “mom”. 

While sitting outside of Bens Pretzel shop there was a huge clock on the wall that got my attention.  It was always my understanding that when you retire from your life’s work that you do as Gen. Eisenhower said he was going to do when asked that question: “I am going to go to my farm in Gettysburg and get out my rocking chair and sit there for seven years and then slowly begin to rock”.    I have thought about that some in the last few days and wonder if I would have the stamina to “slowly start rocking”.

The thought entered my mind that we are given so much time on this earth.  It was written in God’s book before time began that I would be born on such and such day and die on such and such day.  I wondered, for those who are raptured, will there be a blank space where the day of departure would normally be? What I am saying is we are allotted so much time, years, months, weeks, days, hours and even seconds on this earth and what we do with that time will determine where we spend eternity. 

My “mom”, you know the apple-dumpling maker once said to me, “Enjoy your school years because when they are past, time begins to speed up.  A truer statement was never spoken.  I cannot believe it is the end of another year.

I give to you this back ground to announce that I must make another change in the publishing of the blogs.  Have you ever bitten off more than you can chew?   When we moved the prophecy blog to the What’s Happening Man” it kind of overloaded our systems.    So, effective the first of the year we will continue the Gramps Morning Thoughts on Monday, Wednesday and Fridays and the What’s Happening Man published only on Saturdays.. 

It would be nice to hear form some of you as to whether the blogs are hitting you on your hot buttons.

Blessings,

Gramps
PS The first time I made apple dumplings, we had company.  I had a full dinner  - ham and the fixings and apple dumplings for dessert.  Imagine my feelings when Gramps my husband of less than a year-came home and smelled ham.  His response, "I thought we were having apple dumplings."  "We are ,for dessert"  His response, "Apple dumplings ARE the meal"  We continue to do both - meal and sometimes dessert!  Gma

No comments:

Post a Comment