Monday, May 29, 2017

Whose Fault?

                                                           Who ME??????

“The person who sins will die.  The son will not bear the punishment for the father’s iniquity, nor will the father bear the punishment for the son‘s iniquity; the righteousness of the righteous will be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked will be upon himself” (Ezek.18:20)

Hey Gang:  The Japanese have a unique law in their canon of laws, ‘If you are sitting at a stop light and someone plows into your rear, the plower is only liable for ninety percent of the guilt.’  Their rationale for this law is- if you were not there or had been one minute later in getting there, the accident would not have occurred.

That brought to mind another story that I have compiled in my archives from my air traffic control,  involving a pilot. While in the process of landing His aircraft he encountered a sheer cross-wind that drove his aircraft into the ground. As he was exiting the crashed plane, the emergency crew arrived and asked the pilot what happened.  His response, “I don’t know I just got here myself!” 

God said to Adam, have you eaten from the forbidden fruit?  His response, “The woman WHOM YOU HAVE GIVEN ME, she gave me from the tree, and I ate”.   God said to Eve, what have you done and she responded “The serpent deceived me, and I ate.” (Gen. 3:9-13). 

The blaming mentality became a weakness in all of mankind ever since.   Adam blamed Eve for taking of the forbidden fruit, Eve blamed the serpent.  Saul blamed the people for sparing the best of the animals instead of utterly destroying them, according to God’s commands (I Samuel 15:8-15).  In Ezekiel 18 the children of Judah blamed their ancestors for the sins they themselves committed.  
Today, some even blame God for circumstances that they have brought upon themselves.

Because of our sinful tendencies, we do not want to take responsibility for our own actions.  We feel justified in pushing our accountability on someone or something else.  In our pride we do not like to admit fault   Do we not want people to think we are sinless, even perfect? To that I plead guilty, 

Lord!  How often have we justify ourselves by saying, “It’s not my fault”?  Or what is the first thing we tend to do when we commit a grievous error? – look for something or someone to blame it on. 
The Bible is clear that when we stand before God, we will not be able to blame any other person or thing for our actions: “For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad” (2 Cor. 5:10).  We are accountable for all the choices we make or have made.

Paul put it this way: “For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am, of flesh, sold into bondage to sin.  For what I am doing, I do not understand; for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very things I hate” (Rom. 7:14-15).  Again, I plead guilty! 

Paul goes on and gives us the good news: “Wretched man that I am!  Who will set me free from the body of this death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!” (Rom. 7:24-25a).  The point: Let us humbly take responsibility for the wrongs that we have done, instead of playing the blame game.  Keep in mind to err is human; to blame it on somebody else is even more human. Choose to ask forgiveness from God and others and be set free!

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment