Monday, August 21, 2017

God Commanded Us to GO - not Retire!

They shall still bear fruit in old age; they shall be fresh and flourishing” (Psalm 92:14)

Hey Gang:  I turned on the radio just in time to hear one old duffer say, “Old age is a matter of mind over matter.”   I thought perhaps he was talking about making pickled baloney or some exotic type activity.  And then he finished his statement, “If you don’t mind, it does not matter”.  

But, to many in our world, getting old does matter and they tend to do everything they can to maintain their youth.   The radio and television business would soon dry up, if all of the beauty ad’s, and all the drugs and vitamins that are designed to make us look younger, would suddenly disappear.

I recently read the story of one, John Kelley, who died at the age of 96- a ripe old age even for this day and age of people seeming to living longer.   His claim to fame was that he ran in the Boston Marathon 58 times (that’s 26.2 miles each time) including his last one in 1992 when he was a mere 84 years young.

I read that piece of trivia in awe.  I am a mere 84 years of age and I am very sure I could not manage a one block run.    But I fully realize what my bookkeeper of past years meant when she said, “Use it buster, or you are going to lose it”.    It is my firm belief that since recycling twenty-three years ago from the working world, I have run into far, too many, folks who, when they punch their time card for the last time, put their body in neutral and begin to vegetate.  And, unfortunately, that includes many Christians.
 
I find no place in the Bible where God says, “That’s enough for you, get out your rocking chair and slowly start rocking, your too old to share the Good News that Jesus Christ is Lord- The Way, The Truth and The Life.  I find no place where Father says, “You have earned the right to get out that rocking chair and no longer be concerned about widows and orphans.”  I find no place where God tells us that the command -to go into all the world and preach the gospel- is for younger folks.

The Psalmist said, “The righteous shall bear fruit in old age” (Psa. 92:14).  For those who are physically able, that means continuing in active service until the ‘Roll is Called Up Yonder’.  If you have checked the obit’s today and your name is not there, fire up the boiler and take God at His Word “Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and might things, which you do not know” (Jer. 33:3).

So, all you who are still punching the time clock and looking forward to the day you can retire and get out the rocking chair – Forget it! 

Blessings,    

Gramps 

PS- For several years we volunteered in a Missionary Retirement Village where there were no retirees!  Singles and couples, many in their 80’s and 90’s taught SS classes, English as second language, checked mail-in Bible Studies did all kinds of crafts for groups and, most of all, were Prayer warriors – on their knees, prayer walks and in groups.  We, too, plan to finish well! Gma

No comments:

Post a Comment