Wednesday, February 10, 2021

God uses Broken things…

   Hey Gang, Today I picked up one of Gramps favorite Devotionals. Still Waters.  As I read it I could hear him reading it to me - as he usually did at night.  Human love has been theme for several weeks, think of how Great is God’s love as He reshapes and repurposes us to be used by Him while on this earth and then in the Eternal Kingdom. 


Firewood or Furniture                                                                  by Fred Schau - Broadhead, WI

“And He that sat upon the throne said, Behold I make ALL THINGS new: And He said unto me, ‘Write: for these words are true and faithful.” Revelation 21:5 (Emphasis added)

 For well over a century, the walnut tree had endured the rainstorms, blizzards, droughts and floods of the prairie.  The huge tree finally went down when a windstorm took off some branches, causing the trunk to split.  One plank cut from the tree was stored in a barn for five years. It became covered with pigeon droppings, mold, and dust. The plank was warped and had cracks in places, but my son was sure that it would make a good headboard for his daughter’s bed.

 I had my doubts, but we trimmed and ragged ends off the board and managed to get one edge straight. Then we started running the board repeatedly through the planer.  Soon the grain appeared mor clearly.  At one end it had a regular pattern as if quarter sawn, but    farther up the plank, the reason curled into whorls.  One of the whorls had a ring of bark around it where the trunk once grew around a branch.  Another whorl had formed where a broken branch healed over.  My son was right - the plank became one of the most beautiful pieces of lumber I have ever seen.

After a sinner comet to Christ, covered with the grime and filth of sin, Christ begins transforming him into “His Workmanship” (Ephesians 2:10).  The process is hard and it hurts.  Much excess material is removed, but eventually the result is a new creation. Though the rigors of the former sinful life left scars behind, the ‘new creature’ has remarkable beauty not because of sin but in spite of sin.   By the amazing grace of Christ, the ‘fallen wood’ that was suitable only for fireweed is transformed into attractive and useful ‘furniture.”

Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God.”  Revelation 3:12

 Let God’s love flood your heart and spirit.

Gma J


No comments:

Post a Comment