Monday, January 30, 2012

A Problem of Growing More Mature (old)


Holy Land Picture of the Day  
Ruins of Biblical Dan (ICEJ Staff photograph)Dan 
Today's picture is of the entrance to the ruins of Biblical Dan, near the headwaters of the Jordan River. The city is mentioned several times in the Old Testament, including in I Kings 4:25; "During Solomon's lifetime Judah and Israel, from Dan to Beersheba, lived in safety, everyone under their own vine and under their own fig tree"

“Search me, O God, and know my heart:  Try me and know my anxious thoughts;  And see if there be any hurtful was in me, And lead me in the everlasting way.” (Psalm 139:23-24).


Hey Gang:  Have you ever found yourself on the landing between the basement and first floor of your home and you not only can’t remember what you were about to do, but also you cannot remember if you were going up or going down?

I read, recently, about two ministers who said they had a problem with their mind wandering while reading God’s word and in prayer.  As I pondered this conversation, I readily agreed with what they were saying.

I, too, have problems with a wondering mind, not only when reading the Word but also when in prayer.  I have no problem with concentration when reading sports magazines, or what is happening in the world of prophecy; nor do I normally have problems when talking with others. 

So, the question: Why, when we read the most precious Book of all, or speak to the Giver of all good gifts, does our mind wander?  I am quick to blame such lapses on Satan and his dart machine but I sense God would not totally agree with that.  True, Satan hates to see us in the Word and in prayer to the Father, but sometimes I believe we give him far too much credit for our short comings.

I have come to the conclusion that until I have a hunger and thirst for the Lord- that supersedes all other things-  my mind will wonder. I believe when we are inspired to praise God, and feel the deep need for forgiveness for our transgressions and when we are eager to request His blessings on our life, then, the Holy Spirit will keep our thoughts focused.

(From Gramma – and a paragraph from  January Jewish Jewels, a Messianic Newsletter we get monthly:)
“Pray with ‘Kavanah’ is the Hebrew word for focus, direction and intent. This means to pray with zeal, to passionately desire to know God and hear from Him. This attitude includes reverence for God and a shift of focus from self  toward God. It includes concentration, lack of distraction and having a sense of standing in the presence of God.  May we give God our best efforts in prayer at ALL times.”

Here is some food for you to ponder as your drive down the roadways today,  if you too are plagued with a wondering mind at the wrong times:  When your team pulls the upset of the year in some sporting event are you not quick to read everything that is written about that victory and listen to every word spoken in praise of the victory?  Why?  Because you are filled with excitement and want to relish the victory as long as you can.

Soooooo, could it be when our mind wonders when we are reading the Word or praying it is a sign we are not excited about His Word or talking to Him personally.

 Blessings 

No comments:

Post a Comment