Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Do You Ever have A Yearning Too Deep for Words?


Holy Land Picture of the Day  
Gethsemane (ICEJ Staff photograph)Gethsemane
Today's picture is of the Garden of Gethsemane on the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem. It's story is told in Luke 22: 39-40; "And He came out and proceeded as was His custom to the Mount of Olives; and the disciples also followed Him. When He arrived at the place, He said to them, "Pray that you may not enter into temptation."

“This is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us, and if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him” (I John 5:14-15)

Hey Gang:  Today I have received five requests for prayer and I haven’t left the house as yet today.  This wonderful technology called computers, and the other 312 new devices that allow us to receive more news than I like to receive, do keep us up to date on a multitude of events, tragedies and folk's general welfare. 

  Years ago I was blessed to work with a dear middle aged lady by the name of Molly Mc Gurk (name changed to protect the innocent) whose favorite words were “”Have you heard?”.  I must admit, I tended to watch for the arrival of Molly and split from the scene for the other place  safe from getting the daily reports of tragedy and pain – ‘the men’s head’.

Well, I am not really interested in sharing the woes of “tragedy incorporated” , but rather share a yearning that keeps creeping up in my heart on a growing basis.  It seems to me in the past several years that requests for prayer from folks who I do believe need, has increased.   I keep a prayer list that I try and cover each week which has grown to mega pages.  Now, please do not think I am complaining, for I believe it is blessing to take those with needs to the throne room.

But I have also found there are growing numbers of days where I just want to talk to God, not about crisis or pain, I just to talk to Him and get to know Him better.  I am 78 years old and have gone beyond my promised three score and ten and one of these days this thumper in my chest is going to say 'syanara’ or “shalom” and I will meet the Lord at the pearly gates.  And I want to be as up to speed in my knowing Him intimately.

Does that mean that I do not want to pray for the many requests that come into my life?  May that never be!  Jesus gave us specific orders on how we should pray, in His Sermon on the Mount, and even gave us a model pray to help us along.  Paul said “I am to pray unceasingly”.  There is no greater power in the world than to send our petitions to the throne room of heaven and I certainly want to be obedient to all of the instructions given on prayer, but let me share a desire of my heart that has been close to my heart in the past weeks.  

Jesus, in His travels dropped into visit some old friends and we are told that Mary was sitting at the feet of Jesus but Martha was distracted with the business of the day and let Jesus know she was not all that pleased about it.  Now, note Jesus response, “Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.” (Lu. 10:42).  That’s it, that is what I am yearning for – I want to sit at the feet of Jesus and feel His touch and hear His voice and worship at His feet.  Does that hit your hot button this morning?  if so take a few minutes and get alone and sit at Jesus feet for a season.

Blessing,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment