Wednesday, September 12, 2012

What If?



"Even though I walk through the valley and shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me.  Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me...."  (Psa. 23:4)

Hey Gang:  I read of a very frightening statistic in a magazine article... more than twenty three million American's have declared they no long believe, or have never believed in God, and refer to themselves as Agnostics.  If you add to these the folks who "have a form of godliness but deny the power", and those who are "lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God" or those who are "ever learning but never come to the knowledge of the truth" you might conclude that our nation is in deep waters.  (2 Tim. 3).

As I read that statistic, I wondered what these folks do when the rubber-hit's-the-road or the alligators are stacked up to your armpits.  What do they do when they find a loved one has terminal cancer or when you go to work only to find a pink slip on your desk.  What does one do when your child is in rebellion or you have deep marital problems.  Where do you turn for help, support and encouragement when the check book registers zip and the bills keep coming in?

The bride of my youth brought an article from the Daily Guideposts to my attention about a young lady who had aced her way through high school and earned a scholarship to a prestigious college.  After  completing her first year of higher learning she returned home and announced to a friend that "I've chucked it", I do not believe in this God stuff anymore.   (Not an uncommon malady in today's colleges and universities) 

As she expounded on the finer things of godlessness, the friend prayed that God would fill his mouth with the right words; words that would rekindle the fire that he had seen in this beautiful lass as she grew from childhood to the enlightened years of teenage.

He thought of all the wonderful and powerful verses he could fling at her, but he knew that would only flame the embers that were burning within her chest cavity.  Somehow he sensed she was on a fishing expedition, seeking how an old confident might react to her announcement that she had chosen "to go her own way".

Instead he calmly responded, "What would I do if a friend was going through a deep valley?  Where would I go when a grandson suddenly contracted a cancer that was zipping the very life out of him?  To whom would I pray if my child had chosen to "go his own way" and closed his heart to the King of kings and Lord of lords?   To whom would I turn when I knew that  blood of my blood and bones of my bones had chosen paths that I knew would only lead to pain and agony.

The girl responded with tears in her eyes, "I hadn't thought of that".  David wrote "though I walk through the valley and shadow of death, I will fear no evil,"  How could he have such assurance?  "Because he had tested God's love and he knew His Lord and Savior and Shepherd was with him and his rod and staff would bring comfort even in the deepest waters.

Sooooo,  Rejoice my young warriors, God so love you He gave his only Son and He continues to give".   He stand at the door of your heart and waits for you to ask  "Lord keep Your might arms of protection around me as I  walk through the valleys and shadows of this day."         

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment