Monday, November 12, 2012

Have You ever Found Yourself In the Midst of a Conundrum?





“Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil, who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!  Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes and clever in their own sight!  (Isaiah 5:20-21).

Hey Gang:  You do know what a conundrum is, don’t you?   I confess my hillbilly education did not consist of words that were more than four letters.   But in my latter years, with the help of my bride of fifty-five plus years, I learned there were wonderful helps, including dictionaries.  I learned that conundrum, according to the Thesaurus on my computer, ‘requires values and choices’ that will determine if I will feed the black dog or the white dog that day.

Now that I have confused you with my lack of knowledge on the meaning of words, let me get to the conundrum that hit me right between the eyes on election night.  As I mentioned we are currently in Branson celebrating Veterans Week and on R & R preparing to return to Voice of Martyrs for a final week of volunteering, prior to returning home.

We have been truly blessed by the many opportunities to hear wonderful Christian singing groups and can attest to the fact that this is “pig out” oasis of the world.  If you cannot find something that truly hits your eating ‘hot button’ you are just too picky.

But the high light of our time here was the trip to the Sight and Sound Theater to see their presentation of  Joseph.  We have been blessed in past years to see other wonderful presentations such as Noah, Daniel, Abraham and Sarah and “Behold the Lamb”. But, if I was forced with gun at head to choose my very favorite, I believe it would be Joseph.  Why?  Because it is based on the theme of forgiveness and, Oh how we need forgiveness in our country today.

I did not have to start the car to return to the Comfort Inn; the adrenalin in my soul was sufficient to power us home.  But, at the end of the journey the second part of the conundrum hit me like turning on a cold shower on a very cold day – the election results were far enough down the road to tell me we were in the process of re- electing the current President to another four years. 

You see, I made a serious mistake.  I had listened to the so- called political prognosticators who assured me there was a huge change coming in the Belt Way and it was going to be a brand new day.  I will not try to give you the facts on how it feels when you are sky-ing and suddenly reality sets in, and the world crumbles beneath your feet.  I felt a knot about the size of Ohio in my gut.  I needed a quick transfusion - and that is only found in God’s Holy Writ.

Sooooo, I got out my well weather worn Word, where I have found refuge in my many other trips through disappointment-,ville and retreated to a passage that has been a source of strength.   I believe Habakkuk felt very much like I felt at that moment.  If you are hurting inside today, I would suggest you do as I did and pay special attention to verse five of chapter one “Look among the nations!  Observe!  Be astonished !  wonder! Because I am doing something in your days you would not believe if you were told.”.

Your choice today, you can let the conundrum defeat you or cry out as Habakkuk did ,“Yet I will exult in the Lord, I will rejoice in the God my salvation.  The Lord is my strength, And he has made my feet like hinds’ feet and makes me walk on my high places.”  (3:18-19) You might also want to turn to Psalm 118:8 and 9 and look up!!
     
Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment