Monday, November 26, 2012

The Antidote for Anguish






"Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your loving kindness, According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions." (Psa. 51:1).

Hey Gang:   As I read and reread these words of David I sense the depth of his anguish for I have been there.  Times when I know I have sinned against Abba Father and poured out my heart as David does in this Psalm, only to go out and grieve the Holy Spirit all over again. 

I confess I have struggled with the question, “Does God withdraw from us when we are in sin?”
When I shared this question with a pastor friend of mine, he seemed to be appalled that I would make such a suggestion.  But Psalm 51 happens to be a Psalm I frequently return too, especially when the waters seem to be up around my 'snoz' and creeping higher.  I like to be in good company when going through the wilderness and David is one I retreat to often.

God did say that David is a man after His heart, didn't he.  Of course my first line of defense is Jesus, the perfect Son of God who knew no sin, but there are times when I need to hear from one of God's anointed saints, who certainly had his times of walking in the darkness of this world, to see how he handled those times when he chose to go his own way.

Now back to the question, “Does withdraws from us when we are walking contrary to His will and His ways?”  Nathan had just rattled the King’s chain when he took him to task for the Bathsheba incident.  A rattling that hit David where he/we need to be hit when we are walking contrary to what we know is God's mandate for our lives. 

He cried out to God, "Be gracious to me, O God, according to Your loving kindness; According to the greatness of Your compassion blot out my transgressions." (v.1).  I confess I have prayed that prayer many times and keep it close at hand for those times when  I fail in my walk with the Lord.  He went on and cried ou,t "Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.  For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me
 (v. 2-3) 

Now notice the reason for the question.  In verse 10 and 11 we read his plea, "Create in me a clean heart O God,  And renew a steadfast spirit with me.  Do not cast me away from Your presence and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me".   

Have I resolved this very important issue in my mind and heart?  I believe I have.  Notice the reassurance that we find in John's words in I John 1:6-7, “If we say that we have fellowship with him, and yet walk in darkness, we lie, and do not practice the truth; but if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin". 

Soooo, "Listen, listen up!"  Can you hear it, "Your ears will hear a word behind you,  "This is the way, walk in it". (Isa. 30:21).   

Blessings,

Gramps 

No comments:

Post a Comment