Friday, April 12, 2013

Have You Been Kicked in the Gut Lately?



"But as for me, my prayer is to You, O Lord, at an acceptable time; O God, in the greatness of Your lovingkindness, Answer me with Your saving truth.  Deliver me from the mire and do not let me sink; May I be delivered from my foes and from the deep waters" (Psalm 69:13-14).

Sleep escaped me earlier this morning.  That seems to have become a way of life as I have grown more mature.  I have always been a morning person and feel if I have not made a contribution to the tasks of the day before the sun comes up, I have wasted a good portion of the day. 

This morning the darkness seemed to be so very intense.   I felt as if the weight of the world was hanging around my neck. Did you ever feel that way?   Of course that is not the case but, when we try to  move into God's turf it seems to be the yoke, mentioned in a previous message, seems to grow tighter around our neck.    

I think David must have had at least one day like that when he wrote, "But as for me, my prayer is to You, O Lord, at an acceptable time; O God, in the greatness of Your lovingkindness, Answer me with Your saving truth.  Deliver me from the mire and don't let me sink" (vs. 13-14a).

It is at times like that when we need to be obedient to God's word and get alone with the Lord and turn it all over to Him.  Again turning to the words of the Psalmist,  "Answer me, O Lord, for Your lovingkindness is good;  According to the greatness of Your compassion, turn to me. And do not hide Your face from Your servant, Fort I am in distress; answer me quickly."  (vs. 16-17).

This morning when I turned the computer on it presented me with screens I have never seen before.  Now, understand I am an old duck, (perhaps frog would be better) that requires a five year old to help me get to where I want to get on this one eyed monster.  After pressing about every button on the key board I hit the right button or perhaps the wrong button and the screen went blank, so I rebooted and praise God, a familiar face appeared.

Within the morning hours the can opener failed and the toaster crashed and several incoming calls did not fill my heart with peace, joy and contentment.  In other words the alligators were in high gear.  It soon became apparent I had to make a decision, would I allow this nonsense to continue, or would I do as David did, He cried out to the Lord, "Deliver me from the mire and do not let me sink". 

And then it happened.  The sun peeked through the trees and the skies began to brighten.  I am blessed to live on the edge of a small forest and the sun radiating through the trees can be a very beautiful picture. 

How many out there know when you are working with children who have severe emotional problems life can be a roller coaster.  I spent many hours i training our staff that they are only seed planters and not harvesters.  When you look for the harvest you are programming yourself for burn out.  And how did I try and get that message across?  By convincing them they needed to go home and cut the grass, sweep the deck or do something that they can see completed.

Soooo, I did as I preached .I shut off the one eyed monster, and went and cleaned the basement.  It looks wonderful!  But I also know that when the creepee's come a bothering (ya all know what a creepee is,  a hillbilly word for "thorn)) it will be there the next time I need to feel the sense of accomplishment and completion.

Blessings, 

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment