Monday, April 1, 2013

My Peace I Leave With You




"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  Not as the world gives do I give to you.  Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid" (John 14:27).

Hey Gang:  Every chapter in the Bible has a very special word for a very special time in your sojourn
on ‘earth’.  This morning I was drawn to John chapter fourteen.  What a powerful chapter that is filled with pearls of great price for His children.  John begins by setting the record straight as to who Jesus is:  "Jesus said, I am the way, and the truth and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me".  (vs. 6).       

As I read that verse over a couple times, my mind want back to Moses encounter with the burning bush on Mt Sinai a few years ago.  Remember, Moses was not too pleased with God's assignment for him and came up with a barn full of excuses as to why anybody but him would have be a better choice.  I can say equivocally that I have been there! 
  
But, the one question that has pounded in my mind and heart since reading that account is "Who shall I say sent me".  Is that not a question that we should ask ourselves every day and multiple times each day?  God's answer, "Just tell them "I AM has sent me to  you". (Ex. 3:14).

Many years ago I learned a very hard lesson, that being, when God calls you to do something profound for Him and you are absolutely sure that you do not have the talent, ability or even the desire to do it, and come up with a barn full of excuses - keep in mind what God calls you to do, He also equips you to complete the task.

Getting back to John 14, we find a very important ingredient to completing those tough tasks.  Notice in verse twelve, "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father".  Really, Lord?  How?
“Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it" (v.13-14). 

But notice there is an "if" attached to this promise, "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments" 
(v. 15).

Ah, come on Lord, I can't do that!  I mean I am just an uneducated hillbilly kid from the mountains of Pennsylvania.   It is said I lived so far back in the sticks even the hoot owls carried knapsacks and they pumped sunshine to us every Saturday morning.  What do I have to offer, Lord?

But notice once again he blows our excuse maker: "I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever"  (vs. 16)  Pow!!!!

Soooo, lads and lassies, when you get ready to tell God why you can't reach out to that hurting person that he sends across you path, keep in mind the Holy Spirit "…abides with you and is within you" (v,17).   John then gives us this neat piece of advice from the mouth of our Lord,  "Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you.  Do not let your heart be troubled, not let it be fearful" (v. 27).

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment