Friday, July 12, 2013

Do You Have a Hole In Your Heart?

God sees not as man sees, for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart" (1 Sam. 16:7).  "You are our letter, written in our hearts, known and read by all men; being manifested that you are a letter of Christ, cared for by us, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts"(2 Cor. 3:3).

"There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God..."  Blaise Pascal

Hey Gang:  It is always a surprise and great boast to ones ego when they find something that they have used for years quoted by someone who is much smarter.  I have used the ‘vacuum’ illustration for many years with the boys under my care, for it is something they can  clearly understand.

If we had unlimited space, I could list fifty or so references on the importance of the heart being connected to God.  In Psalm 51 we feel the agony of David, a contrite sinner who was seeking God's pardon.  He cried out, "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.  Do not cast me away from Your presence and do not take your Holy Spirit from me:" (vs. 10-11). 

The following description of the vacuum-sized hole in the heart showed up on Face book.  It stated this vacuum does not get filled with the promise of heaven;  It does not get filled by assenting to creeds about God;  It is not filled with a moral life, nor political rightness, superiority, a climb up the corporate ladder or the gaining of reputation or wealth;  It is not filled with promises or self denial. 

Nor by straining to get more of anything, nor sufficient discipline or cynical hipness, it has nothing to do with being right or what you like or dislike or what you stand against;  it is not filled with self-actualized, self-adored, self-entitlement.  There are no formulas, techniques, steps or patterns that will give you the peace that surpasses human understanding.

Filling this vacuum comes only by enjoying the Christ  It is accepting and trusting Christ with every molecule of my being.  It is filled with the astonishing apprehension that I am righteous, holy, beloved, worthy enough, adored, forgiven, favored, and loved beyond human measure - on my worst day.  It is the realization that God loved me so much he sent His only Son to die on a hideous cross that I might be set free from the bondage of my sins.

Sooooo, perhaps most important, my vacuum is filled when I grow weary of try and do it my way and force him to comply to my wishes.  And when I surrender to His will and ways and follow Paul's advice and die to self, put off all those things that offend our Abba Father, and fill the vacuum with the things that bring honor and Glory to Him ( Col 3) and, most important, let Him by the pilot (not co-pilot) of my lives.

Blessing, 

Gramps


No comments:

Post a Comment