Friday, July 26, 2013

Ready Or Not, Here I Go! BUT, Where To?



"In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.  You know the way to the place where I am going." (John 14:20)

Hey Gang:  I have been doing some research on heaven.  It has always been amazing to me how little attention heaven gets from the pulpits of our land.  I suspect it is also neglected by a great majority of the folks who are looking forward to seeing it firsthand some day. 

I must admit I, too, did not have much interest in heaven as a growing young un and even in the working years of my life but when loved ones when there and the hair grays and my body began to send messages that it is losing its zip, your focus tends to take on a different direction.  

I find it interesting that folks, while residing on earth, may seek just the right home for months and even years before they make the investment where they may spend twenty to sixty years. However, but do not have a clue what God has prepared for His children in the hereafter where they will spend eternity.  How about you this morning, what do you know about what God has prepared for His children as their future residence for ?????????? eons?

Years ago, while working in a detention facility a young lad came up to me and said, "Mr. H.  how long is eternity?”  My response,  “If you take the toothbrush that is in your pocket and scrubbed the of six lanes of freeway between here and Sacramento (one hundred and ten miles)  ten times, that would be a drop in bucket as to how long eternity is.

I have learned in my studies of heaven that one has to see heaven through the eyes of faith.  Our poor finite minds just do not have the ability to process what God has given us in His Word.  And we tend to get caught up with the streets of gold and the gates of pearl.  God's opinion of gold is to walk on it.   

The Bible provides the symbols, but it is faith that makes the hieroglyphics of heaven come alive and heaven must come alive.  We, as believers are citizen's of the Kingdom of Heaven and, according to Philippians 3:20, "For our citizenship is in heaven, from which also we eagerly wait for a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ"  His children should be eagerly awaiting their names to be called home.

I recall the story of the woman who was seriously ill and in the hospital on life support.  The doctors informed the family that her systems were shutting down and it was time to call the family together. This they did.  The pastor was also present and prayed over the woman and she immediately made a turn for the good.    Several weeks later she regressed and was back in the hospital on life support. Once again the family was called and, once again the pastor prayed and, once again she made a turn for the good.

 Again, several weeks later, the same process was repeated but this time she informed the family that she would rather they did not invite the Pastor to come and pray over her.  She was ready to go and meet her Savior and did not want anyone to tamper with that desire.

Soooo,  I have learned to think much differently about heaven than I did as a younger person.  Some would think I am being morbid when I talk about one day leaving this earth and going to be with the Lord but, I would rather think that heaven is the dot at the end of my life.  I love that song "What a day that will be when my Jesus I shall see.  And I look upon His face, the one who save me by His grace; When He takes me by the hand, And leads me through the Promised Land, What a day, glorious day that will be!


Blessings, 

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment