Friday, March 14, 2014

When Faith Falters -continued




But let all who take refuge in You be glad, Let them ever sing for joy; And may You shelter them, That those who love Your name may exult in You.  For it is You who blesses the righteous man, O Lord, You surround him with favor as with a shield.” 
(Ps. 5:11-12). 

Hey gang:  We pick up Elijah’s story at I Kings 19.  Keep in mind that Elijah had, what we would call mountain top experiences:  He had provided food for the widow and her son, successfully confronted the prophets of Baal and seen God’s mighty fires from the heavenlies totally consume the sacrifice, altar and many gallons of water, and then outran King Ahab’s chariot for more than seventy miles.   Would that not give you faith to move mountains?

But note verse one, Ahab shared the events of the day with Jezebel who sent a message to Elijah “So may the god’s do to me and even more, if I do not make your life as the life of one of them by tomorrow.”

Did Elijah boldly stand against her threats knowing God would protect him?  Not so, he cut and ran a day’s journey into the wilderness and sat down under a juniper tree and asked God to take his life.   I wish I could say, ‘never been there or done that’. I do not recall ever sitting down under a Juniper tree, nor do I remember God ever sending a raven with vitals for me in the form of people food, but I do recall many times God sent to me, when the alligators were up to my armpits, sustenance and strength to stay the course.

I recall one very hot day, while still the exalted ruler of Eagle Village, a staff member came running into the office yelling “fire”.  A brush fire was rapidly burning toward a wooded area, and if it reached it, the fire would take out two of our residential units. 

By the time we got there the fire was five hundred feet from the wooded area and the winds were providing power to move ever closer to the trees.   On the way out of the office we grabbed whatever tools that were available and were frantically raking with a broom, rake and shovel, to no avail. 

One did not have to be a brain surgeon to realize we were in big trouble and nothing in our human strength was going to still the winds and control the fire.  And then it entered my mind and my heart, when the fire leaped over me and I was standing in the midst of the storm, to ask God for help. 

Frantically, I dropped the broom and raised my arms and yelled, “Lord stop the winds”.  I could hear the fire engines approaching when God reached down and did as I asked Him; He reversed the wind and the fire retreated down the hill to where it began. By the time the fireman arrived on scene it was out.  The firemen said they had never see fire burn back over itself.

I wonder what would have happened if Elijah had sent a return message to Jezebel to “bug off”, “My God shall supply all my needs according to His riches in heaven.” (Phil. 4:19).  For, “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me” (Phil 4:13).  There is a wonderful parallel message in the story of Jezebel and Elijah – Elijah was taken up into heaven in a fiery chariot and Jezebel was eaten by dogs.

Soooooo, my young chicks, what is the message in this story?  We make choices each and every day as to whether we will stand against the darts of the enemy or we will seek out a Juniper tree and try and hide.  This I know, we will have many opportunities to place our trust in God to give us strength to be overcomers today and every day, for Satan travels the earth seeking whom he can fire his darts into or devour.  (I Peter 5:8)   What say ye?

Blessings,


Gramps                    

No comments:

Post a Comment