Monday, June 2, 2014

Are You WIlling?


"Righteousness exults a nation, but sin is a disgrace to any people" (Proverbs 14:34). 

Hey Gang:  Jacques Auguste de Thou wrote, "After what I owe to God, nothing should be more dear or more sacred to me than the love and respect I owe to my country."  We have just celebrated Memorial Week.  Each morning, as I enter my closet for morning devotions, I see Old Glory hanging from the corner of our deck.  I want you to know something about me, I am a softie when it comes to my country and my flag.  I am eighty years young but now and the tears still flow when I see the flag and hear the Star Spangle Banner.

I am blessed to come from a family that loved their country and were willing to lay down their lives for it.  My three brothers also served to protect our liberties, four uncles and an aunt who served in World War II.  My aunt was an army nurse who was in the first brigade to enter Japan at the end of the war;  her husband fought in the Battle of the Bulge.  My wife also has family who have served, and an uncle who had several tanks blown out from under him and was also in the Battle of Bulge. 

When I think of these brave warriors, I feel a pride deep in my soul.  Today, I am not sure which feeling takes precedence in my heart, anger or sadness.  When I hear the story of the GI's who went to the Veteran's Hospitals and Clinics s for help, many illnesses the result of their time on the battles fields of this world, and were turned away, I felt a disgust like none I had ever felt before. 

It is said many died from their illnesses, many who could have been treated and their lives extended.  I wonder how a person could do that, whose job it was to be a saver of life to.  Records were shredded to cover crimes.  Why, so that they would get a bonus at the end of the year for the fine job they did.
i was walking through the super market yesterday and noticed a elderly gentlemen sitting and waiting for his turn to see the pharmacist.  He had a hat that advertised that he had served in Korea.   My attention is always perks when I see a hat which tells me the person was a warrior who served our country in its time of need - but especially for those who served in Korea, for they are kindred brothers.    I thanked him for his service.

Last night I listened to a very irate, very popular ex GI who had served in the Marine Corps for over twenty years and has dedicated his life to traveling the country visiting Vets Hospitals and those who left limbs on the battle field.   When asked what is the most difficult for Vets to adjust to, he said the lack of compassion and interest in the general population of our country.  He said years ago there were many visitors who went to the hospitals to encourage the guys and gals who had paid a horrendous price to protect our freedoms, now there are few.  

Soooo, I will return to Branson again this year for Veteran’s Week.  It happens to be my favorite week of the year, for I love to rub elbows with a very special group of people, called Veterans.  And I challenge you to go out of your way once and a while and say "thank you" to a Vet.  They are part of that group of people that Jesus referred to as "the least of these my brethren".    


Blessings,  

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment