Monday, June 9, 2014

The Church In the Wildwood


"The heavens will praise Your wonders, O Lord; Your faithfulness also in the assembly of the holy ones.  For who in the skies is comparable to the Lord? Who among the sons of the mighty is like the Lord" (Ps. 89:5-6).

Hey Gang. Did you ever walk into a place or arrive at a place where you are totally comfortable?  Now, I confess that does not happen very often, but on our trips to Israel when we set down at the Ben Gurion Airport in Tel Aviv, a peace comes over me that certainly surpasses my understanding.  In Israel the air raid sirens may rage but in your heart you know the King of kings is looking down on His Chosen Land, the apple of his eye, and what better place to be launched into the heavenlies than from the sacred turf that is Israel!  

But there is second place where I feel totally at ease and comfort reigns in my soul, it is  the church we attend when we are in Bartlesville, Oklahoma.   When I am there I think of the words of an old hymn that was one of my mother’s favorites "The Little Church in the Wildwood". 

The words are very simple and the melody easy to sing.  I like hymns like that.  I miss the old power hymns that seemed to bring fire into the sanctuary, as voices are raised in worship and praise to our Lord.  Some of my favorites include "How firm a Foundation, ye saints of the Lord", and "Lead Me to Calvary", where I proclaim to crown Thee King of my life".  How about "When the Roll is Called Up Yonder"?  When the trumpet of the Lord shall sound and time shall be no more, and “What A Day” that will be when we shall see  Jesus face to face.  Does that warm the cockles of your heart?   

Each one carries a message with eternal value.  "At Calvary" gives us the truth that Christ died for you and me and would have done so if we were the only one on earth.  “Under His Wings” give us the assurance that He will never leave us or forsake us and is our refuge and strength.  Two that my Dad often sang flawlessly, even after he was plagued with Alzheimer's, are "In the Garden" where the battle of the cross was waged and won by our Lord, and "The Old Rugged Cross", whose author lived in Reed City.  

When I hear the choir in Bartlesville sharing their message of song, it takes me back to my younger years when I was privileged to be a part of our church choir. Oh, yes, there is one more thing that makes me feel warm and comfortable, the church is like the churches of old, a beautiful sanctuary. This is the earliest of three services and is called the "Vintage Church".  I think they refer to that because the ‘older than dirt crowd’ hangs out there.   

Sooo, now one might get the idea I am putting down contemporary music, which is not the case.  I was raised on the more traditional hymns in a sanctuary that was for worship and designed for worship only.  The contemporary crowd is covered with a contemporary service in the gymnasium.  But I like the Church in the Wildwood theme in the Vintage Church where we old ducks feel more comfortable.

Now, take a moment or two and sing a verse of The Church in the Wildwood with me.  It will open your pores and make your heart beat faster and surface many memories. 

                                         There's a church in the valley by the wildwood,
                                                       No lovelier place in the dale,
                                              No spot is so dear to my childhood,
                                            As the little brown church in the dale. 

Blessings,


Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment