Friday, August 22, 2014

Check Out the 'Therefore'

              
"Therefore I run in such a sway, as not without aim; I box in such a way, as not beating the air; but I discipline my body and make it my slave, so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified" (I Cor. 9:26-27).

Hey Gang:  I have probably made this statement somewhere along the line, in one of the previous morning thoughts, but it bears repeating:  "I love the little words of the Bible, the if's, but's, therefore's. etc.  In many cases they are trigger words to a powerful truth.  This is especially true when we study the covenants of the Bible.  There is a vast difference between a ‘conditional’ and a ‘non-conditional’ covenant and it is determined with the tiny word "if".     
 
As I thought about the message I sent to you recently, the Lord seemed to be tugging at my shirt tail to follow it up on how to implement the instructions of Colossians three.  Again we turn to the words of Paul, but this time in his letter to the Roman Church (chapter 12).  Again we find that trigger word ‘therefore’, so as Pastor Mumford would say, "Let’s take a minute and find out why it is “therefore”.

Paul begins by telling us how to be successful in our walk with the Lord:  “Therefore, I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies (meaning your whole self – physically, mentally and spiritually) a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship” (v.1).  Stop!  Read those words again.  Note that Paul is saying to walk with the Lord you must be willing to sacrifice your all in all, holding nothing back. 

One thing we know about Paul is that he never gives us instruction with giving us the practical application of the principal he is sharing.  Now, for practical application; “And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect” (vs. 2).

I recently talked with a young man that was up to his armpits with alligators.  His marriage was not going well, he had been laid off from his job, house payment due, car payment due, etc. etc.  In the course of conversation he made this statement, "Is it enough to make one seek religion?" I suggested maybe that was the problem, what he really needed was not religion, but Jesus as Lord of his life. 

His problem? He was conformed to this world and not willing to present his body as a holy sacrifice, acceptable to God.  He was willing to give up the mundane things, but not willing to be transformed by the renewing of his mind.  That is kind of like finding out you have several cancerous tumors in your body and telling the surgeon, take this one and that one but leave the others alone.      


Sooooo, my young friends, notice the key to implementing this principle: “... present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God”.  Think about that!  He will accept nothing less.  What price are you willing to pay?  Are you ready to sacrifice your all?  Remember the price that Jesus paid for your salvation – He paid it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment