Monday, February 9, 2015

Truth In Living Color

"Behold, children are a gift of the Lord, The fruit of the womb is a reward.  Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth.  How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them" (Psa, 127:3-5).

Hey Gang:  As a senior counselor in a detention facility, one of my duties was to notify the parents that their son or daughter was an uninvited guest in our ‘house of concrete and bars’.  The response could usually be placed in one of three categories:  “Oh, how sad, he or she was not raised that way”, or “I just knew I was going to receive a call like this someday!”, or “Don't call me, let him stew in his own vomit,” or some other neat verb. And there was also the three categories of responses on the part of parents: they came immediately; they came tomorrow at the hearing, where they were required to attend; or they did not come at all.

I wish I could tell you the latter response was an absolute minority, but such was not the case.  Many asked, and even begged us, to keep their child locked up for a while- say two or three months. Their homes were much more peaceful places when youth were not there.   

I want to share two cases, one that I personally knew and the second, one that I believe is an excellent story of the truth - "It is never too late to recoup a prodigal back into the good graces of the family.”

The first is a fourteen year-old who arrived at the facility, one a wet cold night, in the custody of one of our local police.  He was not what one would term a ‘run of the mill’ delinquent.  He stuck out like the proverbial 'sore thumb'.  He was well dressed, well- manicured, very articulate and even polite, which was a sign he did not belong in our facility. 

A call was made to the parents and, within the hour, the father and mother arrived.   A short interview determined that the young man had never been involved in anything like this before and Fad would certainly have words with the lad.    Due to the backlog of other intakes that were awaiting my attention, I released him to his parents and suggested that he not show up here again.

A few days later we had a repeat performance with same young man; however, this time he arrived at my door in cuffs and a more belligerent attitude.   The afore mentioned procedures were followed and due to an overloaded ‘house’ and, many more violent and more sophisticated trouble makers demanding attention, I sent him home, again.

The next night, when the young man arrived at Juvy, the ‘house’, it was a slow night and I had time to sit and talk with Dad.  I learned Dad was an executive in a major industry and did not have time for his family.  One did not have to be a rocket scientist to see that the boy was doing all in his power to get his Dad's attention, and he would continue to do so, whatever it took.  

Dad was adamant he would do anything to reconnect with the lad and become a good father to him.  I suggested he take out a business card, write on the back of it that he would be available to his son any time he called, and give it to his son.  I also told Dad we had a bed available, so we would give the son a good look at what it was like to even have to ask permission to go the bathroom!

On Monday mid-afternoon, the son asked if he could make a phone call, he wanted to call his Dad.  His Dad happened to be a very important meeting with his executive team.  He had given strict orders not to be disturbed.  But, knowing the situation, his secretary slipped a note to him, ‘your son is on the line’.  He immediately ordered a coffee break and took the call.  The message was simple, “Dad, if you love me, come and get me now!”  Dad, cancelled the meeting, drove to Juvy and picked up his son.  They spent the remainder of the day together.  I never saw the boy again.

 Soooo, be advised that the story of the seed planter where it clearly states, "You will reap what you sow" (Gal. 6:7).  This works every time, negative or positive, with every child.  Each of us must chose: am I willing to place my spouse and children immediately after my love for my Heavenly Daddy, and give sacrificial love to each.  Next message life story number two. 

Blessings,

Gramps


No comments:

Post a Comment