Friday, February 17, 2017

Are You Up to Speed in Your Eternal Insurance?


Hey Gang:  Do you have any special verses that you can grab when the ‘rubber-hit’s-the-road?”  If someone were to ask me that question, I would be hard pressed to give them one or two verses, for the entire Word of God is so very special to me. For me personally, I believe the entire fifteenth chapter of John contains a tremendously powerful message. But, as I thought about what I would challenge your heart with this morning, God seemed to direct me to a portion of that chapter: 

“Abide in Me, and I in you.  As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless, you abide in Me.  I am the vine, you are the branches.  He who abides in Me, and I am the vine, you are the branches.  He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit, for without Me you can do nothing.  If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered, and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.  If you abide in Me, and MY words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you” (John 15:4-7).

Jesus said, “Abide in me”.  In verse sixteen we read words that should set our hearts on fire. You did not choose Me BUT I CHOOSE YOU, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.”   

As a little squeezer, I was not one of the better athletes on the block and when it came to picking up teams, I was always apprehensive as to whether I would ever be chosen.  But here we read the God of the universe chose me! Say that with me, “The God of the universe chose me!”.  What does that say?  In God’s sight, we are worthy to be chosen of God. 

Now, notice John also tells us that when God chose us, and we become ‘fruit producers’, there is a promise from Abba Father attached to it: “Whatever you ask of the Father in my name He may give to you”.   

What say you?  As you read this Scripture could you feel a sense of power building up deep in your heart? Is it not a joy to know that the God of this entire universe, the Creator of all things invites us to abide in Jesus, His Son?   Wow, is that not awesome?  John begins this chapter by making sure that we know there are many types of vines, but only one true vine and that is Jesus Christ. 

One of the great blasphemies of the day is: “There are many roads to God.”  Don’t you believe that for one moment?  Jesus said, I am the way, and the truth, and the life; NO ONE comes to the Father but through Me” (John 14:6).  He also taught us to be very careful as the end of the age approaches – there will be many false teachers, prophets, preachers who will lead us down the “Prime-Rose-Path”.  

As you read this chapter pay very special attention to the “ifs”.  I love the little insignificant words (trigger words) of the Bible for many times what follows is a truth, perhaps a prerequisite that adds truth and power to the principle involved, and we need to pay special attention.

One last point before I close this epistle.  Notice: out of this passage we can compile a list of things for which we are chosen and to which we are called.  In verse 11 we are told that abiding in the vine brings pure and full joy into our lives.  In verse 13 Jesus gives us the truth that “Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends, and in the very next verse He gives us a wonderful piece of news “You are My friends, (notice the if – the prerequisite) IF you do what I command you.   Joy, love and friends with Christ – now that, my friends, is “out of sight!”


I ask you again, “Are you up to speed in your eternal insurance?”  I close with one more “IF’ that is key to the grafting process: “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just like I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love” (vs. 10).  How do we do that?  Paul said “Be an imitator of God” (Eph. 5:1).

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment