Tuesday, October 10, 2017

To Whom Much Is GIven, Much WIll be Required


“From everyone who has been given much, will be required; and to whom they entrusted much, of him they will ask all the more” (Luke 12:48).

Hey Gang, Did you ever have a song or a verse stick in your mind and play over and over?  I have had both in recent weeks and especially in the past several days.  The song is “This Little Light of Mine, I’m going to let it shine”, and the verse is the Scripture of the day. 

This morning, in my time alone with the Lord, I did some research on Scriptures to see if God would point out one of those verses pertaining to giving in bold print.  I found a whole barrel full of such verses but none in what one might call bold print, but one did seem to speak a wee bit louder than the others. 

Being an old fund raiser, one of the very special verses that I often used was the story of the widow who gave two mites.  I was blessed to have such a wonderful gift. A­­­ widow woman, who had very little, sent her last .37 cents to help a child.  It reminded me of the story of Peter and John on their way to the temple when they ran across a beggar who was begging for alms. 

Peter said, “I do not possess silver or gold but what I do have I give to you; in the name of Jesus Christ the Nazarene – walk” and seizing him by the right hand, he raise him up and his ankles were strengthened“ (Acts 3:6-7).  What a profound statement!  “What I have I give to you”.  

It has been my privilege to honor the memory of a friend on several occasions by giving  the Eulogy, recognizing the memory of that friend. As I delivered the eulogy, at each of these home goings, the picture in my mind that made each a joyful experience was- as I was speaking all four were “running and leaping and praising God” in new and perfect bodies in the presence of the Lord. 

In Isaiah 58:10-11 we find a wonderful promise the is available to you and me: “And if you give yourself to the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then your light will rise in darkness and your gloom will become like midday.  And the Lord will continually guide you, and satisfy your desire in scorched places, and give strength to your bones; And you will be like a watered garden, and like a spring of water whose waters do not fail.” Wow, is that not a fabulous verse?

So, troopers for Christ, we will make choices today on how we treat our neighbor.  Jesus said, “To the extent we do it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me”. (Matt. 25:40).  As you go about your day, “think on these things!”

Blessings,

Gramps    


No comments:

Post a Comment