Thursday, October 5, 2017

What Do You See?

“For the eyes of the Lord move to and fro throughout the earth that He may strongly support those whose heart is completely His”.    (II Chron. 16:9).  Is that not a warm, reassuring verse for these troubled times?

Hey Gang:  How many know that mothers have wide angle vision.  As a lad growing up I believed my mother had eyes in the back of her head.  Just when I thought I had gotten away with something, she would, in her on subtle way let me know that I had been ‘had’. 

That, like tar, stuck to me and became a solid rock when interviewing potential staff.  I found that asking questions was, to a degree, informative but often found that there was a disconnect between what I was hearing and what surfaced in actual practice.  I heard an interviewer recently make the comment, “There is no greater recommendation for a potential employee than in the words found on their resume.”  

I found that a walk through the campus was far more beneficial than going through a long interview or placing a great deal of trust in the printed page.  After walking and chatting for an hour or so, we would return to the office, have a cup of coffee and sit down for a wrap up. 

My question, “What did you see on your trip through the campus?”  If their description was narrow in scope, the interview was over but, if they painted me a picture of all the wondrous things they saw, I knew I had a potential keeper. In other words, were they narrow in their views or did they have wide angle vision.

I believe God also walks with us and asks us the question, “What do you see?”  In Psalm 34:15 we read David’s words, “The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous and His ears are open to their cry”.  In Proverbs 15:13 Solomon declared, “The eyes of the Lord are in every place, Watching the evil and the good”.

It has always been bothersome to me to sit under the teaching of a narrow-vision pastor or teacher who takes one verse out of context and preaches a sermon on it.  It is my sincere opinion that verses and concepts to do not stand alone but are part of God’s intricate road map that leads us from Generations to Revolutions. (Genesis to Revelation). There is no greater joy than to take a trip through the Bible following the travel agenda that God provides for us.

So, folks, my challenge to you - memorize and put into practice Paul’s formula for living a truly effective life for the Lord: “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.  Do not quench the Spirit, do not despise prophetic utterance but, examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good, abstain from every form of evil” (I Thess 5:16-22).

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment