Friday, January 5, 2018

Seasons of 'Ups and Downs"


Solomon wrote: “God has made everything appropriate in its time.  He has also set eternity in their heart, yet, so that man will not find out the work which God has done from the beginning even to the end.” He also went on and wrote these words of wisdom: “I know that everything that God does will remain forever; there is nothing to add to it and there is nothing to take from it; for God has so worked that men should fear Him” (Ecc. 1:11, 14).

Hey Gang:  Do you know what I am talking about when I mention the phrase ‘Ups and Downs’? I believe most would agree that life is filled with its ‘ups and downs.’  Wise King Solomon certainly did.  He wrote “There is a time for everything” (Ecc. 3:1-8). 

Solomon’s daddy, David, was called “A man after God’s own heart” (I Sam 13:4, Acts 13:22).  Yet, David’s life was a perfect example of one whose life was filled with ‘ups and downs.’  He wept over the loss of His and Bathsheba’s first born (2 Sam. 12:22). 

Yet, he also wrote songs of praise and “His mouth was filled with laughter and his tongue with joyful shouting” (Ps. 126:1-3).  All the time?  No!  With the death of Absalom, he agonized in deep mourning (2 Sam.  18:33).  But when the Ark was brought to Jerusalem, “David put on his ephod and danced before the Lord” (2 Sam 6:12-15). 

I have taught many times that, if I were able to see my life charted on a graph with highs and lows, I would find that when I trusted in the Lord and placed Him first in all that I say and do, I would find myself on the top of the graph but, in those times when I said, “Okay, Lord, I’ll take it from here”, I would find myself on the bottom of the graph. 

We do a dis-service to ourselves and other when we portray the Christian walk as a ‘calm and peaceful walk through the park.’  Instead, the Bible portrays the believer’s life as one being filled with ‘ups and down.’  Jesus made it very clear that, “If the world hated Him, then it will most assuredly hate those who follow in His footsteps.” (John 15:18). 

We are also warned that, as the world winds down, to be a follower of Christ is to have a bull’s eye on your back.  The tragedy of darkness and evilness has become part of our culture, as Satan steps up his campaign to war against the goodness of God.  How sad that the leaders of one of our States saw the need to give pastors the authority to pack rods, while conducting services to protect their people.  Perhaps the time has arrived when every church should develop SWAT Teams.

But the bottom line is: “Where are you with Christ?” We have no assurances that we will see tomorrow.    Several days ago, the church bells rang and the people came; but, instead of hearing the Word of God, they heard gunshots and many of them died that day.  Sadly, this has become more like the norm. 


If there was ever a time when we need to make sure that we have our armor spit-polished and in place, it is now: have the helmet of salvation securely attached, the sword, which is God’s Word, in hand and heart and our lanterns filled with the Holy Spirit and all other parts protected.   

Blessings,


Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment