Tuesday, May 1, 2018

"Lord, Help!"




Are You Willing to let God take you firmly by the hand and lead you into a radical life-change?  Paul gives us the good news: “Therefore, there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and death, for what the law could not do, God did!” (Rom 8:1-3).

Hey Gang:  How many times this week have you asked yourself the question: "Should I or should I not?".  I don't know about you. but I have learned that I can become very caustic when someone or something tampers with my comfort zone. In nearly every case the decision shakes down to, will it feed the white dog or the black dog - of my mind  and heart

I have learned, in my tenure on this earth, that I cannot suddenly change from that which I am, to that which I should be.  To think that suddenly I can do a 'U" turn and go a different direction is the foundation of failure and discouragement.  As one old hillbilly said, "We 'er' what we 'er' and unless we work very hard we will remain what we 'er'.” 

Paul tells us: "Be not be deceived, God is not mocked, for whatever a man sows he will also reap" (Gal. 6:7).  A man walking across the prison yard passed by an inmate who was sewing a tarp together. The man remarked to the con, "Sewing?”.  The con’s response,” No, "reaping!".  As I have gained in maturity I have learned that, if I don't put the tools exactly where they belong when I am finished with a project, I spend a heap of time hunting.  And, I might add, frustrated with my neglect. That too is reaping! 

In my study of the Word I have learned that Paul was a very organized man.  In his writing we find he presents a principal-and then develops the principle for our implementation.  In Colossians three he gives us a formula for change; but notice there is a trigger word that is a prerequisite to implementing the process.  The prerequisite, “if"  “if you have been raised up with Christ!"  The prerequisite that triggers the principle is, "If".  

"Keep seeking the things above where Christ is seated at the right hand of God".  Again I draw your attention to the key word in this phrase, "Keep".  In the words of Pastor Wilkerson: ”We need to recognize the "seeking things above" is not a natural trait of the human mind.  It takes diligence and constant vigil to keep seeking things above!”

Paul gives us a principle in Romans 12:1-2 about how to do this.  He wrote, "I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship".  And then the key: "And do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind". 

So, be advised the black dog will be nipping at your heels today.  He may even present you with some great opportunities - but beware Satan gives nothing without a huge price attached. 
We are advised throughout the Word to examine everything carefully and keep the good and trash the bad.

Blessings, 

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment