Saturday, October 6, 2018

Oh, I Wish i Was So Wise When I Was A Young Whipper-Snapper! (second half)


“A gray head is a crown of glory; It is found in the way of righteousness” (Pro. 16:30).   “Where is the wise man?  Where is the scribe?  Where is the debater of this age?  Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world” (1 Cor. 1:21).  “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.  A good understanding has all those who do His commandments; His praise endures forever” (Psalm 111:10).  
  
Hey Gang, Continued from yesterday.

I believe God saw this time coming to our nation and gave Paul the following as a wake-up-call:  “Where is the wise man?  Where is the scribe?  Where is the debater of this age?  Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?”  (1 Cor 1:21). 

In the past years as Director, and then President of Eagle Village, I have interviewed and trained many young people to be effective warriors when working with youth with behavior problems.

 At the end of the training period, when they were ready to take on the responsibilities of caring, witnessing, coming along side kids who were dealing with tough issues in their lives, I shared with them that an old salt came along side me and trained me to be a good air traffic controller; he said, “One day you will see aircraft flying around in your head” – a fact that happened several weeks after I began active controlling of aircraft. I was ready.

In my lifetime I have been blessed to have people, gray-haired people who have come along side me and shared the tools of survival in this world and about things in this world that frequently do not work out the way we might want them to.  

What a superb piece of wisdom that was;  I ended up working with the most unpredictable animal in the world, the teenager who had a tendency to make bad decisions! 

Do you remember the story of Rehoboam when he was challenged by Jeroboam to lighten the load on the people when he was established as king?  He first consulted with the elders, meaning the gray-haired gents who sat at the gate and made decisions.  Their consul? Listen to the people, remove the pressure and they will serve you.  I suspect Reoboam had a different idea in mind and sought out like-minded thinkers who were the young men, who did not have a clue about how to establish a government of the people, by the people and for the country.

Their advice? Turn up the heat; screw the lid down! “The king answered the people harshly, and King Rehoboam forsook the counsel of the elders”.  (I Chron 10:13).  The bottom line of that decision, Israel, under the leadership of Jeroboam became a nation in rebellion.

I do not have a clue if Ford or Kavanaugh were totally one hundred truthful.  I tried to remember something that I had done thirty-six years ago, when I was a mere fifty years old; however my only true recollection was that I was up to my arm pits in alligators with the responsibility of caring for hundreds of kids and a whole barn full of staff.

Well, this turned out to be a longer dissertation than I intended, and I give you permission to agree or disagree with me.  But,  I do want to share one last very important piece of advice from someone who walked this earth in perfection.  In His Sermon on the Mount, Jesus said this, “Do not judge so that you will not be judged”.  He went on and added, “For the way that you judge, you will be judged; and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you” (Matt. 7:1-2).   Do you get the message? We will be judged as we judge others. 

In closing: there was a political ad in the paper which showed a picture of President Trump with the caption, “You think they are trying to get me, but be not fooled, the real object of their wrath and anger is YOU.  That could have eternal implications.

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment