Friday, December 7, 2018

Is the Story of God's Love for His Chosen People stll


“Look among the nations!  Observe! “Be astonished! Wonder! Because I am doing something in your days – You would not believe if you were told” (Habakkuk 1:5). 

Hey Gang:  If I asked you to choose the most profound thing that has happened in the 20th century, which would you choose.  World War One? World War Two?  Perhaps the great depression or the discovery of nuclear power?  The Space Program has been very profound as has going to the moon, and only this week had the first landing of a space vehicle on Mars.  No question, the collapse of Russia and Europe were profound, as has been the resurgence of Islam.

All very significant but, from the Biblical perspective, all pale when compared to what happened May 14, 1948- the re-establishment of Israel. This, after nearly 2000 years of being exiled, and the beginning of a process called “Aliyah” -the regathering home of God’s children from  the diaspora (four corners of the earth from which God has scattered them).  
The fulfillment of Isaiah 43:5-7 is truly alive in the four corners of the earth: “Do not fear, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east and gather you from the west.  I will say to the north, ‘Give them up’ and to the south, ‘do not hold them back.’  Bring My sons from afar and My daughters from the ends of the earth.  Everyone who is called by My name, and whom I have created for My glory, Whom I have formed, even whom I have made.” 

As I look back over my 85 years of walking this earth, there are mega memories.  Memories are like any experience you might have been blessed to be a part of.  Some rate in the “out of sight” category; some good, and some you wish had never happened.  But the ones that seem to work their way to the top of the blessing list are those where we impacted the life of another.

There is no question that on the top rung of the blessing ladder was God’s allowing my bride and I be the legs to build the Eagle Village.  As we stood on the platform on the 50th anniversary of the Village, it was like seeing fifty years of your life in front of you.  So many lives that have been impacted by the many people who have given of piece of their lives and talents to reach out to hurting and lonely people.

But there is a close second rung that surfaces nearly every day, as I pray for the Peace of Jerusalem.   We were privileged to volunteer for an agency called Operation Exodus, whose whole mission was providing a pathway home - to Israel - for Jews of the diaspora, from the four points of the world.   While there we were privileged to help raise the needed funds to provide for a ship that sailed between Kiev Russia and Haifa Israel and could take 500 people at a time.  

God said, “For I will take you from the nations, gather you from all the lands and bring you into your land.” ”You will live in the land that I gave to your forefathers; so you will be My people, and I will be up your God” (Ezek. 36:24 & 28).   When I pray for the peace of Jerusalem, I pray for the thousands of Olim who made aliyah during those days we were blessed to be a part of God’s fishermen.

God said to Abram said, “…those who bless Israel will be blessed and those who curse Israel will be cursed”.  (Gen. 12:1-3).  What joy there is in knowing that we played a tiny part of bringing the sheep home. 

The Psalmist said, “Pray for the peace pf Jerusalem so that you may be blessed.” (122:1).

Blessings,

Gramps           

No comments:

Post a Comment