Friday, December 9, 2011

Ask and It Will Be Given to You







“So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.”  Luke 11:9 

When Jesus implored His disciples to ask, seek, and knock, He taught them (and us) the basics of what it means to live a life of faith. 

Hey Gang:  Many years ago, we had the opportunity to hear a converted alcoholic who also was a very successful executive in a major company give his testimony.  He was asked if he prayed for healing for someone and that person died, what would he do?  His response, go to the next person who needs healing and pray for them. 

Did you ever ask God why bad things happen to good people or ever wonder why you do as God said, “Ask, seek and knock," but the fruits of your prayer fail to materialize?  Why, Lord, did you not hear my prayer or why, Lord, did you not do as you said, "Ask and I will deliver.”?

As I have looked and asked these very questions throughout my 78 years of walking through many valleys and shadows;  I believe there has come a degree of  understanding.  I have begun to understand that below the surface of these words is the humility of fervent prayer, the vigorous activity of seeking after God, and the persistence to overcome any obstacle that is placed between us and God.

I have also learned that God’s ways are always far and above better than my ways  The Bible tells us God's ways are not our ways, neither his thoughts our thoughts.  “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts” (Is. 55:9). 

Does this not sound a lot different than the self-serving first impression we often associated with this passage?   Careful, young friends,  that you not accept a shallow, worldly interpretation of Jesus' words but the blessed, deep, and rich meaning that Jesus intended. 

Soooo,  as you take your petitions before the Lord this morning, keep in mind Jesus made a promise in this teaching. Good things, very good things will come to those who actively participate in the asking, seeking, and knocking of faithful living (see Matthew 7:9-11). And that my good compatriots is the truth.
Blessings  Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment