Sunday, June 24, 2012

Assurance Even In Tough Times


Holy Land Picture of the Day  
Galilee farmland (ICEJ Staff photograph)Galilee Farmland
Today's picture is of the lush farmland northwest of the Sea of Galilee. It reminds us of Isaiah 9:1; "But there will be no more gloom for her who was in anguish; in earlier times He treated the land of Zebulun and the land of Naphtali with contempt, but later on He shall make it glorious, by the way of the sea, on the other side of Jordan, Galilee of the Gentiles" 

Hey Gang:  The writer of Hebrews wrote these words "Yet once more I will shake not only the earth, but also the heaven."  Yet once more, denotes the removal of those things which can be shaken, as of created things so that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.  Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, but which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe; for our God is a consuming fire" (Heb. 12:26-29).

I just received Joel Rosenberg's latest offering titled "IMPLOSION" and, after perusing the Table of Contents, I believe I am in for a harrowing trip as I get into the book.     Several statements tend to stick out in the flap of the cover.  One, "Many Americans genuinely fear that God is preparing to remove his hand of protection and blessing from our country - or perhaps already has."  Second, "They fear that, unlike previous dark times in our national history, God may not intend to help us turn things around and get us back on the right track".

I have restricted my news watching to short periods with ever increasing gaps.  Not that I am not interested in what is happening but rather listening to the news today and two weeks from now, it tends to sound the same.  But last night I bit the bullet and listened to a whole hour non-stop.  It was truly a walk through the corridors of agony and pain.   In the midst of one harrowing story after another I could not help but think of the multitudes of people who have chosen to go their own way and have no assurance that God loves them and will provide for them even in the toughest of times.

James tells us, "Consider it all joy when you are in the shaker knowing the testing of your faith produces endurance and endurance the prefect result so that you may be perfect and complete lacking in nothing" (James 1:2-4).

Yes, my young friends, we are going to go through increasingly more difficult shakers as the end of the Age of Gentiles, described so clearly in the Bible draws nearer.  James, and the writer of Hebrews, were grounded in the Word and knew the writings of Jeremiah very well.  Notice the power verse in Jeremiah 29:12 where God said, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope."  Keep in mind he was addressing the people who were in bondage in Babylon.

Soooo,  my friends, when it feels that God has you in His shaker, turn to Isaiah 25:1 and shout to the heavens, "O Lord, You are my God; I will exalt you, I will give thanks to Your name; For You have worked wonders, Plans formed long ago, with perfect faithfulness.

Blessings, 

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment