Sunday, June 17, 2012

Is Your Cup Half Empty or Half Full?


Holy Land Picture of the Day  
Vineyards in Samaria (ICEJ Staff photograph)Grape vines
Today's picture is of grapes and the vines they were grown on, in the mountains of Samaria. It reminds us of what Jesus said in John 15: 1-5; "I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit, He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit, He prunes it so that it may bear more fruit. You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it abides in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me. I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing" 

"Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus"  (I Thess. 5:16-18).

Hey Gang:  Have you run across a 'ranter' and 'raver' lately? I was walking through Meijer's  the other day, and heard a rather boisterous voice in the next isle complaining about the increase in cost of everything in his basket.   Soooo, I sauntered over, being of the nosey variety,  to see what the big deal was all about.

Again being of the nosey variety, I checked out his shopping cart and it was filled to the hilt.  And again to  be more nosey I checked out what was in the shopping cart.  Now, keep in mind I am not trying to judge the guy, but my best estimate was that more than half the cart was filled with such sundry items as booze, chips, pop and a whole bunch of 'stuff' that not only was not a necessity of life but also not to good for one's body.

I do believe the gentlemen was living in  the realm of the half empty glass.  But then again, I did some reminiscing and came to the conclusion I was living in a glass house and looking for a stone to throw.   

The writer of Hebrews addressed the half empty glass verses the half full glass with these words, "Make sure that your character is free from the love of money, being content with what you have; for He Himself has said, "I will never dessert you, nor will I ever forsake you" (Heb. 13:5).   Notice the key words, "your character".  It is your values that will determine your choices that will determine whether your glass is half full or half empty.

  A friend once shared this little ditty with me:  It seems his bride was going through a period of near depression and seeking something that would fill her glass to the running over stage.  One evening, he packed her up in the car and drove to the down trodden areas of the city.  He never said a word but the message got through loud and clear - she was truly blessed with a full glass.   She also learned what Luke meant when he wrote "Give, and it will be given to You!" (Lu. 6:38)



Soooo, my young warriors, take heed to what Bother Paul said in his letter to the Philippians, "For I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.  I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need". 

And then the kicker- "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me". (Phil. 4:11-13).  Is your glass half full or half empty this morning?

Blessings, 

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment