Thursday, June 28, 2012

Have You Checked Your Insurance Policy Lately?


Holy Land Picture of the Day  
Ein Gedi (ICEJ Staff photograph)Ein Gedi
Today's picture is of flowers and palm trees near Kibbutz Ein Gedi near the southern coast of the Dead Sea. It reminds us of Song of Solomon 1:14-15; "My beloved is to me a cluster of henna blossoms in the vineyards of Ein gedi. How beautiful you are, my darling,how beautiful you are! Your eyes are like doves."

 “When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; And through the rivers, they will not overflow you.  When you walk through the fire, you will not be scorched, Nor will the flame burn you.”  (Isaiah 43:2). 

Yesterday was burn day!  The raking has produced many piles of leaves and pine needles and pine cones that needed to be cleared in order to begin repairing the lawn and flower beds from winter damage. This meant that I was tied to the fire for most of the day.

 As I watched the fiercely burning flames I noticed that three things were happening; first the pile was getting smaller as the flames consumed the leaves, secondly, the fire was generating heat; and thirdly the fire was generating light. 
As a lad growing up I remember my sainted grandma use to talk about God’s Word as a consuming fire.  

Notice Jeremiah’s words, “The prophet who has a dream may relate his dream, but let him who has My word speak My word in truth.  What does straw have in common with grain?”  declares the Lord. "Is not My word like fire?”  declares the Lord,” and like a hammer which shatters a rock?”  (Jer. 23:29)

How is God’s Word like fire?  As the leaves are burned and are turned to ash, so the Word of God burns away the chaff, if we will avail ourselves to read the Word, to meditate on it and learn to hear God’s voice.  I hear many people tell me that are avid Bible readers but not too many tell me they are avid Bible study-ers. 

An old adage that I have tucked away in the leaf of my Bible is the fine print on my insurance policy with the Lord: “If God sends us down a fiery path, He provides sufficient shoes.”

At the end of the day, I looked with satisfaction at what was large piles of leaves and needles that was now clean and ready for new growth and beautiful flowers.  Is that not God’s way with the fire of His word?  John wrote, “...but if we walk in the Light as He Himself is in the Light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin” (I John 1:7).

Soooo, good folks, fire can come in many forms and many times it comes very unexpectedly.  That is why God suggests that we keep our minds and hearts honed to the wheel and our asbestos suits clean and polished.  James gives us the key to keeping our insurance up to date, “Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you.  Cleanse your hands you sinners.” (James 3:8)      

Blessings, 

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment