Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Do You Think This Thing WIll Fly?



"Yet those who wait for the Lord will gain new strength; They will run and not get tired. They will walk and not become weary." (Isaiah 40:31)  

Hey Gang:  My assignment for the day was the ‘Tower’.  My normal assignment was the ‘Air Traffic Control Center’  in downtown Taegu, Korea.  So this was a neat diversion.  Normally I did not see the aircraft (only strips) that were under my control but this day was to be different and I relished the chance.

It was a very h0t and humid day, probably in the high nineties, and the aircraft were a wee bit sluggish about getting off the ground.  Many were using up our entire 14,000 foot runway which was very unusual for fighter-type aircraft. 

Since we were a training base for the Korean Air Force, we were blessed to have a squadron of P51's, by far my very favorite airplane.  We also had a transition squadron of F86's Sabre Jets, the airplane that controlled the skies over Korea during the war. 

As I mentioned, we were there to prepare the ROK Air Force to take over the skies and release the GI's to head for home. Because of the inexperience of the Korean pilots and the idiosyncrasies of the F 51, it was a very exciting place to be.  

In mid-afternoon the radio announced that one of the trainer pilots requested taxi instruction  in preparation for take-off.   Clearance was issued and he lined up on the end of the runway for take-off.  Keep in mind it was a very hot day, he had a whole load of fuel on board, and the aircraft he was flying was notorious for being a hog on take-off.  Even on days when the temperature hovered in the mid-ninety degrees, it used most of the runway to get off the ground.

The clearance was issued "Shinbone Target cleared for take-off".   At the nine thousand foot point on the runway it was still hovering below take off speed.  Ten thousand feet marker passed and we  all were getting a wee bit nervous.  And then the copilot came on the air and said to the pilot, "Hey George, do you think this thing will  fly?" Response, "We will soon find out.

  At the eleven thousand foot marker the T Bird lifted off, barely cleared the barrier at the end of the runway and skimmed the tree tops as it grasp for the heavenlies.  We all gave a sigh a sigh of relief.

I think of this story often.  It was my one and only experience as a tower operator and one of the joys of my life.  I think of it on those days when I just cannot get my wheels off the ground; when it seems I am walking through taffy;  when my prayers seem to fall off my lips and bounce off the ground.  And then I smile as I remember that T bird skimming over the trees.   And know my God will not forsake me!   I have learned - there are times when we just have to keep the power at full thrust and have the faith that God will do the lifting

I also learned that day that without full-bore thrust we probably will not get airborne.    Several aircraft aborted that day because they could not get the needed enthusiasm out of their engines to get into the heavenlies.  Something to think about.

Our thanks to all our military  past and present. Our family has many who have served to keep our country free, too numerous to name  - WWI to the present.  Uncles, Aunt, brothers, cousins,  nephews and extended family members. Pray for those who serve now, those recovering and the families they represent, and our Country daily.

                                                     Arlington cemetery at Night.
                       


Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment