Wednesday, November 20, 2013

A Wonderful Reprieve


"An excellent wife, who can find?  For her worth is far above jewels.  The heart of her husband trusts in her, And he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil all the days of her life" (Pro. 31:10-12)   

Hey Gang:  Our family, friends and neighbors think we are kind of strange.  We often drive more than two hours for breakfast.  Is the food the motivational factor, not in your sweet bippy.   Our destination for breakfast is in the tiny Amish Community of Shipshewana, Indiana.   There is no question the cinnamon rolls are out of sight, but going to Shipshewanna is like entering a different kind of atmosphere.

Many years ago, in the early years of development of the Village, we were visited by the feared agent from the Internal Revenue Service..  I wondered at the time why they would chose to come to Hersey, Michigan, to a one- house program that did not have two dimes to rub together.  However, I learned another chapter of "God does work in mysterious ways".

 He informed me he would be with us for a day and half and have a closure meeting at noon the next day.
But the next day closed with his announcement that he would be there one more day.  Fear and trepidation suddenly invaded me from my tippy toes to the longest hair on my head.  Was he finding some hidden discrepancy in the books?

 Day three arrived and went in the same manner, with the announcement he would return tomorrow and finish by noon.  Needless to say, by noon on the fourth day I was in a tizzy.  To those of you who know me, you know I tend to be a little - well maybe a lot - hyper when things, out of my control, are happening. 
 The hour of departure had finally arrived and  Mr. IRS was packed and ready to depart, but I would have no part of that until he told me why he extended his time from a day and half to three days.  

Wow, what a blessing God gave to me that day! He said, "I have done audits on hundreds of non-profit agencies but when I came here I felt something very different than the others.”   I asked, “What was that difference?’ He said this place is more than a program or agency, it is like driving into an atmosphere.

 For years  I had forgotten that experience  but memory came just when I needed it.  Things were not going well in the development of the Village and now I had something to hang my faith and belief on; we were indeed in the will of God!

 When I drive into Shipshewana I get that same feeling.  I feel like I am driving into an atmosphere that has overcome the rapid pace and coldness of the world.   I love to hear the clip clop of the horse drawn carts.  I love to see the people in their plain dress.  And I love to see the families working together, playing together and on Sunday mornings to see the line of buggies heading to their Elder’s home for worship and fellowship.    
 An Old Amish farmer was asked, "How come there are so few divorces among the Plain People.  He responded in a half amusing and half very serious way. "Well,” he said,” when I am out plowing all day behind the animals, when I get home at night my bride looks real good! But the real reason is we make a ‘lay-down- your-life commitment to the one God sent into our lives. To leave them or forsake them would be a slap in our heavenly Father’s face for He chose her for me and  He is all wise.

Soooo,  my young, and not so young friends, if you feel the walls closing in on you and the alligators snapping at your heals - take a day and go to Shipshewana, just sit on one of the many benches,  placed for sojourners from the fast paced  world outside, listen to the clip clop of the horses,  and enjoy the ladies in their bonnets and long plain dresses and the men and boys in their common attire.  It is good for your mind, physical body, and even better for your soul as you stop and enjoy God’s beauty in the Simple things.                                             

 Blessings,

Gramps






No comments:

Post a Comment