Friday, November 8, 2013

"I Do the Very Things I Hate"



 "For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin.  For what I am doing, I do not understand, for I am not practicing what I would like to do, but I am doing the very thing I hate" (Rom. 7:14-15).

Hey Gang: Is that not the truth?  I don't like Paul's words here worth a hoot.  I have often wondered what I could have been in my life, if I had been totally sold out to God and been obedient to His every precept, statute, commandment and will for my life.

 But, you see, I have a problem, I am a sinner saved only by God's grace and there is a constant war going inside me between what God wants me to be and the flesh that continually gets in the way. 

Does that mean that I am in a losing mode in the sin route for the rest of my earthly days?  Yes, if I choose to be.  But the good news is I don't have to be.  Does that mean that I could reach the point where I am totally obedient to God?  Probably, not so.   I think adding "probably" to that statement does not make it a truthful statement. 

Many years ago I was privileged to meet a pastor that I felt was very close to perfect in all ways.  I was preparing for a year tenure in the garden spot of the world of the world, Taegu, Korea, and wasn't quite sure how I felt about it.  What I had heard about Korea was like watching a horror story with me as the main target. 

Pastor Stoll, a wonderfully gentle man, introduced me to a message he has shared with many people who were heading into harm’s way.  He titled it Contrary Winds.  It was based on Matthew 14:22-27,33. The story is titled "Jesus Walks on Water” in my Bible  but, as I read it, I found that it was so much more than His walking on water to meet the disciples in the midst of the Sea of Galilee.

First I identified with the disciples because they were ordered, as I was ordered to go into harm’s way.  We know from the first 21 verses of Matthew 14 that Jesus was having a very bad day.  He had learned about the death of John the Baptist.  He tried to go into the mountain to be alone and mourn the loss of His friend but the crowds would have no part of that, and the disciples bombed when Jesus told them to feed the five thousand. 

 Do you think He placed too much faith in their ability to pull that off?  If you go back to chapter ten you find, "They had been equipped for ministry by giving authority over unclean spirits, to cast out demons, to raise the dead,  and to heal every kind of disease and every kind of sickness"  (10:1-2). 

Now I ask you, if they could cast out demons and heal the sick would not feeding five thousand be a piece of cake?   Did Jesus know they would blow it?  Yes, in verse 16 Jesus said, "You give them something to eat".  But we note in John 6:6 "This He was saying to test him, for He Himself knew what He was intending to do".  I wonder how many times Jesus whispered in my ear "You feed them" and I retreated into excuse-ville.

I sense the feeding of the five thousand sets the stage for a far different end to the story than the disciples anticipated.  The day was over, the dishes had been done and camp ground cleaned up, time to build a fire and roll out the bedrolls and review the excitement of seeing Jesus do the very impossible once again. 

Soooo, we will close the story and pick it up in the next gramps after Veterans Day. As Paul Harvey would say, "Stay tuned for the rest of the story" and it is indeed a marvelous message for us in this day when all that can be shaken is being shaken.


Blessings,

 Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment