Friday, December 6, 2013

The Perfect Law That Has Lost Its Meaning

  

 "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap" (Galatians 6:7).  "For this reason; a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh" (Genesis 2:24). 

Hey Gang, do you think it is possible for what God has joined together in one flesh can be taken apart.  Mark takes this a step further and says "and the two shall become one flesh; so they are no longer two, but one flesh" (Mk. 10:8).  Now if you believe the Bible as the literal Word from Father God, there are a lot of "half folks" running around out there.  I wonder if that is not why there is so much frustration and misery in our world today.

We wonder why our country is in such a mess.  But do we really have to look very far to understand why it is.  There was a song that was very popular some years ago titled "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?” The main line of the song is in the form of a question that is very popular in this day and age "When will they ever learn?". 

I have been married to the "pearl of great price", that God made special for me, for more than fifty-six years.  I can say with great conviction that when we met at the altar, that day so many years ago and heard her father announce to God and the world that "You Kermit and Jean are now husband and wife" I did not have a clue what that meant! Nor did I have a clue what "the tie that binds" really meant.

I have been blessed to rub elbows with the Plain People, the Amish and Old Line Mennonites for many years.  There have been many times when I wish I would have been born and raised in an Amish family.   As we drive through Amish country and see the families playing together and working together,  I yearn for the closeness that is found in their families.

In the Plain People there is nothing more important than serving their Lord and building strong families that stick together like glue.   They take the "tie that binds' literally.  Amish wedding vows are viewed as a promise before God, taken as seriously as a baptism vow.  They know the "I do's are for life' and the lay down your life for the brethren is cast in steel in their relationships.

When asked why there are only very infrequent divorces among the Amish, one said, "Commitment is the key.  When we say I do we mean it and back it up with commitment to each other.  We believe we literally become one flesh and cannot be separated.  We know that a happy marriage is pleasing to God.” 

He then made this profound statement, "Mulling the divorce option in the back of the mind when things get tough in a relationship, I think that just sucks energy away from where it could be used constructively to strengthen a relationship.”  Now that, folks, is a chunk of wisdom.

Soooo,  let me close with a little ditto from Suzanne Woods Fisher in her best-selling book Amish Values for Your Family,  She wrote of a couple who had been married for almost seventy years.  When asked what was the secret to their longevity was, mama answered, "Neither of us died".  There were many separations and divorces in my family and I admit I entered marriage with fear and trepidation.”  Perhaps some of the commitment I saw in the Amish that I rubbed elbows in my years prior to our marriage, penetrated my inner most being. (I drove milk truck in Amish communities in Pennsylvania.

Blessings,

Gramps

No comments:

Post a Comment